Monday, October 13, 2014

Progress Report: Week 4

1.  Get a new job and move.
Ugh, so little progress.  I am having trouble finding things I want to apply to.  The mundanity of my daily life/job has been getting me down a lot this week.  I really need to get back on this application thing!

STEP 1 spend some time job searching (by email updates have not be turning up too many good suggestions
STEP 2 is to crank out those applications.

2.  Make my own postcards.
No progress.

STEP 1: do some research on the cost of ordering some cards.
STEP 2: identify 5 photos I would like to use on the cards
STEP 3: look into how to design my card (using Photoshop, using a online template from a print service)

3.  Write a script **PROGRESS**
Surprisingly I started writing something!   I don't have a master plan for it, but I'm just writing what I can until I figure out how to get from Point C to Point W.  I haven't 100% decided if I want to focus exclusively on finishing this one before I start working on anything else.  This was not the idea I had thought I would start with but it does have some powerful images and scenes that maybe just need to get written down.  I've got 4.5 pages so far.

STEP 1: settle on an story idea I want to tackle
STEP 2: outline my thoughts so far
STEP 3: identify my major problem areas
STEP 4: begin studying my screenwriting books again with this story and these problems in mind

4. Publish a poem
No progress

STEP 0: send poems to my friend for editing
STEP 1: do some research into common ways to get poetry published
STEP 2: identify some places where I would like to submit a poem and qualify
STEP 3: select some poems for submission and fine tune them

5. Track my spending/budget
No progress.

STEP 1: Reassess my current budget structure.
STEP 2: Take stock of my current finances.
STEP 3: Develop or find something that will work a bit better.
STEP 4: Identify key rules/habits that will keep me on-top-of things and organized.

6. Apply for a passport
No progress.

STEP 1:  Figure out how one applies to get a passport.
STEP 2:  Figure out how long it will take.
STEP 3:  Figure out how much it will cost.
STEP 4:  Decide when to begin the application process.

7.  Get new glasses
No progress.  I am going to try to schedule an appointment this week.

STEP 1:  Get exam and up-to-date prescription.
STEP 2:  Identify where to get the glasses made.
STEP 3:  Order the glasses.

8.  Visit Canada
No progress.


STEP 1:  Decide where I would like to visit (Nova Scotia).
STEP 2:  Decide when I would like to visit and how long.
STEP 3:  Decide who I would like to come with me.
STEP 4:  See if it is possible to plan such a trip.

9.  Alter two items of clothing for myself
No progress.

STEP 1:  Decide who can teach me.
STEP 2:  Get advice as to what would be good starter items to alter.

10.  Get something tailored.
No progress.

STEP 1:  Identify some local tailors and their contact info and advice from others as to the quality of the work.
STEP 2:  Determine how much I am willing to spend.
STEP 3:  Select 2-3 things I would like to attempt to get altered (in case 1-2 alterations are not possible)

11.  Take a fitness class **PROGRESS**
I have officially gone to 7 classes:  1 Yoga, 2 Zumba and 4 Balletone.  I've been a little busy and therefore a little tired, so it has been hard to go more than twice a week.

STEP 1:  Identify which classes I would like to try.
STEP 2:  Get the stuff I need to attend the classes.
STEP 3:  Go to a class!
STEP 4:  Return to each of the classes at least 4 times.
STEP 5:  Discover ways to continue staying fit at home on days classes are not held.

12.  Read at least 4 of these feminist books:
Lean In, Reverence to Rape, A Room of One's Own, The Second Sex, The Beauty Myth, MaddAddam, The Feminine Mystique, Bad Feminist

No progress.  I think I want to start with Lean In or MaddAddam.

STEP 1:  Pick a book to start with.
STEP 2:  Acquire book.
STEP 3:  Read book.
STEP 4:  Finish book.
STEP 5:  Pick next book to read.

13.  Organize something for Directed By Women--- a global viewing party happening in Sept 2015.

No progress.

14.  Write those think piece articles I am constantly thinking about.
No progress.  But I thought another one!  I've made a list so that I don't forget my ideas.

STEP 1:  Outline what I would like to say about one of my article ideas.
STEP 2:  Do the relevant research.
STEP 3:  Write a first draft.

15.  Buy a new laptop
No progress. 


STEP 1: Identify the main things I will need my laptop to do.
STEP 2: Work out what the specifications are for what I want.
STEP 3:  Investigate the price range available for what I want.
STEP 4:  Modify expectations or price range.
STEP 5:  Choose a vendor.

16.  Keep to a blogging schedule
No progress.

STEP 1:  Come up with a blogging schedule.
STEP 2:  Try to stick to it.
STEP 3:  Modify schedule as I figure out what works.  (Don't just abandon it!)

17.  Help a friend make her film a reality

STEP 1:  Read script. (So embarrassing I haven't read it all yet.)
STEP 2:  Follow up with my friend about how the project is progressing and my thoughts on the script.
STEP 3:  Educate myself on ways to get funding for the script.

18.  Start learning a little web design
No progress.

STEP 1:  Figure out a good place to start/get advice from people who know about these things

19.  Finish books I have already started: **PROGRESS**
Survival of the Prettiest, Ishmael/My Ishmael/Story of B, Ode Less Traveled, Anna Karenina, Contagious (by Jonah Berger), Jim Henson: The Biography

I finished Ishmael.  I want to start Story of B, but I told myself I have to finish Contagious first.  I got Contagious from the library.

STEP 1:  Finish Contagious (will need to return this to the library soon)
STEP 2:  Finish Ishmael
STEP 3:  Finish Survival of the Prettiest

20.  Organize a Clothing Swap or Yard Sale  **PROGRESS**
I did the 4-H flea market.  The weather was bad so we actually had to do it on the rain date, but that was not advertised very well, so we didn't do too well money-wise.  BUT we did get rid of some stuff.

STEP 1:  Decide in what month it would be reasonable to expect to host a swap/sale (and decided if there is enough time to prepare).
STEP 2:  Ask others if they would like to help organize, attend etc.

21.  Develop a financial plan for my loans
I've heard about a tool for keeping track of your loans.  I need to look into it.

STEP 1:  Revisit all my loan paperwork so I have a firm grasp of all the aspects.
STEP 2:  Find some people I trust and who have expertise that can give me helpful advice.
STEP 3:  Explore options for paying off loans faster than my current monthly installments.

22.  Enroll in new medical insurance plan **PROGRESS**
I have started learning about this; I still find some of it confusing.  I am going to try to do this this week.

STEP 1:  Gather the up-to-date information on the plans offered.
STEP 2:  Ask others at my workplace why they opted into one plan or another.
STEP 3:  Talk to the necessary admins to get enrolled.

23.  Watch these 10 classic movies that I have never seen
No Progress

Malcolm X, Blade Runner, Capote, The Virgin Suicides, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Strangers on a Train, Groundhog Day,  Rosemary's Baby, Young Frankenstein, Badlands

STEP 1:  Figure out if any of these are available on Netflix Instant Virgin Suicides and Rosemary's Baby are currently on Netflix!
STEP 2:  Watch Virgin Suicides or Rosemary's Baby
STEP 3:  Whichever I watched in Step 2, watch the another.

24.  Update a YouTube channel at work  **PROGRESS**
We have started getting rid of bad content.  I also had a successful meeting with the marketing department.  We are going to develop a plan for co-managing the channel.  I'm a bit worried that they are going to take over a lot of it, which is fine except I would like to learn some of their skills!  So I want to make sure they won't mind educating me a little bit along the way.

STEP 1:  Get advice from the marketing department, especially regarding partnership and SEO.
STEP 1a:  Discuss my plans with my boss.
STEP 2:  Develop plan for eliminating bad content.
STEP 2a: Develop timeline for eliminating bad content.
STEP 3:  Reorganize existing content and develop protocol for new content.
STEP 4:  Follow up with partners on two new playlist ideas I have.

25.  TBD I can't decide on another goal yet!  But I don't want to hold up publishing my list!  So I'll add a new one later.

26.  Private health-related goal.
No progress.

Score:  Progress on 6 of 25 goals.

1 comment: