Monday, September 26, 2011

Powder Keg: Talk about Talent!

Boy oh boy are the magazines making me so pleased this month! On my way to Macy's to get some last minute jewelry for a wedding I was attending, I stopped at the ole B&N to check out the magazines.

I almost cried for joy out loud when I flipped through this month's Vogue and found the fantastico John Hawkes betwixt the glossy pages. Not only is the man a wonderful actor, but what a great great face!

I also love that men like him are being recognized as handsome and attractive. Even though he doesn't look like your typical Hollywood hunk, his face has so much personality and expression you could look at him for hours. And he is an older actor. While generally we are MUCH more forgiving to older male actors, often times these older actors are ones we've been fawning over since their early years of hunkiness, hilariousness, let's just say fame (example: Harrison Ford, Sean Connery, John Travolta, Tom Hanks, Clint . . . you get the idea). But Hawkes has not had that type of fame, but holds his own without it.

I've only seen him as the scruffy characters he's played in Deadwood and Winter's Bone, but cast as the older but irresistible leading man in the spread, he looks fantastic! The copy describes the spread as "Hickcockian" and that is best way I can think of describing him. Here he's got class, he's got character, he's got mystery and a versatility that could make him an villainous art smuggler or the dashing detective. I almost wish the model and all her fashion would just get out of the way so he could do this thing! It makes me so pleased that he is here, making my Vogue so much more dynamic and alive! I may actually even write to Vogue to congratulate them on featuring him; that is how pleased I am!

After this, I was set to be pleased and grateful to the magazine gods for the rest of the month. But then I causally picked up this month's InStyle, and flipped to: a spread featuring one of my favorite up-and-coming actresses: Felicity Jones!!! (and her co-star from upcoming Like Crazy, the adorable Anton Yelchin).Here she is with Ed Westwick from the March Tatler. The girl has got some serious sparkle!

Like Carrie Mulligan, I've been following Felicity Jones' career for a little while now and am really excited to see her getting some of the attention she deserves!

And THEN, just when you think life can't get any better, you turn the page, and find Leelee Sobieski!
The casting directors sure earned their salaries this month!

1 comment: