Thursday, March 29, 2012

Poem: sky & hill

Preface: I wanted to experiment with a sort of weird surrealism, and telling more of a concrete narrative in my poems.  (I also can't think of what to call this. I originally was going to call it by the first line, but then though that would ruin the punch of the first line.  I don't want to call it "sky & hill" because it sounds like its some sort of myth/origin story about the sky and hills.)



"sky & hill"

Hilltop death
the closest place to the sky
pours over the globe
in its thick, blue paint.

I can taste the acrylic
like salt on my lips.
Only the breeze under my lashes
and the great, blue, nothing

And one small shape.
Far away,
a smoky flaw in the horizon.

In buttercups and star-shaped bells
time passes
the creaks of insect legs
and grass falling
under the kissing blue

My shape has become a palm,
pushing toward me out of that blue
soaring close
over great space 

A thick, wallpaper arm
molton, blue, bending
into a shoulder
a neck
a torso
Pulling the sky to the hill 
in an endless skin.

blue jewel lips part
opening its huge mouth
and engulf my face, then my head like a diadem,
swallowing,
leaving me at last with only the
recollection of the bristling wolf-hair on its shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment