Thursday, July 26, 2012

Exciting stuff this week: Olympics, Movie Trailers, Lana Del Rey

I've been getting really jazzed up about some upcoming movies:

1) The Hobbit
Why? because, like, it's The Hobbit.  with Peter Jackson & Co.  and Martin Freeman.  and everyone else.  and I no longer need to be depressed because that phenomenon called LOTR is over.


2) Anna Karenina

Why?  Although I haven't in the past been a fan of Joe Wright's work, one thing you can say for his repertoire is that his movies are GORGEOUS.  I have already watched this trailer 10 times because it is so pretty.  Also I like Keira Knightley, and a LOT of the supporting cast.  I got about halfway through the book a couple years ago, so now I've got to hurry up and finish it before the movie comes out and gets me all confused.


3) On the Road

Why?  It is so exciting: someone adapting On the Road. Sam Riley is pretty intense, so I'm really eager to see what he comes up with.  And whoa! check out the rest of the cast! It's kinda scary!

I'm also trying to finish this one before the movie comes out, and it's proving remarkably difficult!  Although there are beautiful parts of it that I love so much, there are other parts that seem to drag on--- so it's a weird rollercoaster of love and despondency with me.  I've had to return it to the library twice now to avoid fines!


4) Cloud Atlas

Why?  Ben Wishaw.  That, and check out the trailer.  I don't know what is going on there, but man, I want to be there to witness it!

---

Only problem is that none of the movies is coming out for what feels like AGES!!! October, November, December, unknown . . . (sigh). . .

So I'm getting myself psyched for something a little more imminent: the OLYMPICS!  Or more specifically the opening ceremonies, which I always find really fascinating.  It's pretty special that every two years we get a chance to see what happens when a country pulls out all the stops to present it's cultural and national identity.  And since I love the Brits and Danny Boyle is directing the whole show, I'm pretty psyched.  (Rumors of a 40 ft Lord Voldemort?  JK Rowling, I freaking hate you.  You freaking got one of your fictional characters into the Olympics, that's how iconic your creations are.)

Also, there is the music they are putting out for this thing.  It's the perfect dose of epicness to get you pumped for the big day!

Survival by Muse


Theme for Velodrome by The Chemical Brothers


---
In other news, Lana Del Rey has been my concentration music of the week for some reason.  Here is her new video for 'Summertime Sadness'  featuring the beautiful cryer Jamie King.  Warning: it's a mesmerizing very SAD video, in case you couldn't guess.




1 comment: