Friday, July 27, 2012

Come On Get Crafty: Home in the Desert

Here is the final card from my weekend crafting exploits.  Like the cards from the previous post, I'd started this card a while ago but only got around to finishing it recently.

If I remember correctly, I cut this picture from a NY Times article about a desert homestead.  The man being featured in the article basically made this awesome living place from repurposed shipping containers in the Texas desert.  It sounds like such a fascinated place, and his story of developing the off-grid back-to-the-land home was so creative and inspiring.

I wanted the card to reflect the cheerfulness and positivity I felt from the story and in the photographs, and the somewhat whimsical elements of the homestead's design.  I liked the colors of the green and blue, keeping the image fresh and relaxing, countered with the more desert-y colors of the butterflies (also in keeping with the whimsy), but the solid colors made it too stark.  The little house looked too alone and got too intense a stare.

It took me a while to come up with the pattern for the background, but I think I found a good balance keeping with the natural theme and the cheerfulness (although I think my hand-drawn butterflies are a little sloppy).


No comments:

Post a Comment