Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Progress Report: Week 36-37

I feel very positive about this stuff this week.  I think it is because I made some progress on a couple things I have been avoiding, but I let a bunch of things fall to the wayside.  I could have easily done much more.

1.  Get a new job and move. No progress.
Need to stop procrastinating and do the PR program application!

STEP 4 Do application to PR program
STEP 5: Look for apartment
STEP 5 Keep job searching
STEP 6 keep thinking about what I want to be doing in the next 5 years

2.  Make my own postcards. No progress
STEP 1: identify 5 photos I would like to use on the cards
STEP 3: decide on software to use to to design my card (using Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and/or Lightroom) especially the back side
STEP 4:  Design the template for the back of the card.


3.  Write a script No progress.
STEP 3: identify my major problem areas
STEP 4: Work on those problem areas
STEP 5:  Do a complete outline of the plot points.

4. Publish a poem No progress
STEP 0: read notes from Friend 1
STEP 1: put together thoughts for second draft
STEP 2:  write some more poems
STEP 2: do some research into common ways to get poetry published
STEP 3: identify some places where I would like to submit a poem and qualify
STEP 4: select some poems for submission and fine tune them

5. Track my spending/budget No progress
I need to do my April and May expenses before I lose track.

STEP 7: Track my March expenses.
STEP 8: Do my taxes.
STEP 9: Track my April expenses
STEP 10: Track my May expenses
STEP 11: Come up with better way of organizing receipts.

6. Apply for a passport **TINY PROGRESS**
I got my passport photo.  I need to suck it up and do the paperwork for real now

STEP 3:  Figure out how much it will cost.
STEP 4:  Gather the forms and documents
STEP 5: Submit the paperwork,

7.  Get new glasses **COMPLETED WEEK 8**

8.  Visit Canada No progress
STEP 1:  Decide where I would like to visit (area around Lake Ontario, Niagara Falls maybe).
STEP 2:  Decide when I would like to visit and how long.
STEP 3:  Decide who I would like to come with me.
STEP 4:  Plan such an itinerary and route.

9.  Alter two items of clothing for myself  **PROGRESS**
On a bit of a whim I decided to look up how to hem a dress by hand.  After watching two YouTube videos, I decided that it didn't look too hard and chose a dress I wanted to shorten but didn't care that much about--- in case I messed it up horribly.  It took more time than I expected, and I had to measure things a bunch of times (because I marked the wrong side of the dress, for one thing).  Also my scissors were blunt to the cutting job was not great, but that ended up not mattering much because I left myself a decent amount of fabric for the hem and ended up rolling the jagged/uneven edges under quite easily.  I'm a bit surprised by how easy it was compared to how stressed I felt about doing it wrong.  I still have to try the dress on since completing it, but I tried it on many many times throughout the process so I'm confident it will look fine.

STEP 2:  Talk to my mom about teaching me how to use sewing machine.
STEP 3:  Alter dress (shorten).
STEP 4:  Chose another item to alter, preferably not a dress hemming.

10.  Get something tailored. No progress
STEP 1:  Identify some local tailors, their contact info, and advice from others as to the quality.
STEP 2:  Determine how much I am willing to spend.
STEP 3:  Select 2-3 things I would like to attempt to get altered.

11.  Take a fitness class ** COMPLETED IN DECEMBER**
I suppose this one is actually complete since I took multiple fitness classes starting in the fall!  Maybe next year I will step it up by taking a dance class!

STEP 8: Find fitness classes for summer, if it makes sense for my schedule.

12.  Read at least 4 of these feminist books: **PROGRESS**
Lean In, Reverence to Rape, A Room of One's Own, The Second Sex, The Beauty Myth, MaddAddam Series, The Feminine Mystique, Bad Feminist, Yes Please by Amy Poehler

I am slowly chipping away at The Beauty Myth (a few pages a week) and I started Yes Please.  If I finish those two, I will have completed this.

STEP 5:  Read Bad Feminist
STEP 6:  Read The Beauty Myth 
STEP 7:  Read Yes Please

13.  Organize something for Directed By Women. No progress.
STEP 1:  Review the guidelines
STEP 2:  Brainstorm some ideas.

14.  Write those think piece articles No progress.
STEP 1:  Outline what I would like to say about one of my article ideas.
STEP 2:  Do the relevant research.
STEP 3:  Write a first draft.

15.  Buy a new laptop No progress.
STEP 1: Identify the main things I will need my laptop to do.
STEP 2: Work out what the specifications are for what I want.
STEP 3:  Investigate the price range available for what I want.
STEP 4:  Modify expectations or price range.
STEP 5:  Choose a vendor.

16.  Keep to a blogging schedule **TINY PROGRESS**
I did my post for my other blog, and I continue to work on a blog for work.  But I haven't added anything to this blog and I didn't do my progress report from last week.  There are BUNCH of posts for my work blog and other blog that I want to sit down and write, but I keep forgetting to schedule the time.

STEP 1:  Come up with a blogging schedule.
STEP 2:  Try to stick to it.
STEP 3:  Try pre-writing multiple posts at once and see if that works with staying consistent.

17.  Help a friend make her film a reality. No progress.
STEP 1:  Read script. (So embarrassing I haven't read it all yet.)
STEP 1: Read new script.
STEP 2:  Follow up about how the project is progressing and my thoughts on the script.
STEP 3:  Research funding sources.

18.  Start learning a little web design No progress
STEP 2:  Finish my Make a Website lesson on Code Academy.
STEP 3: Complete the HTML/CSS lesson on Code Academy.

19.  Finish books I have already started: No Progress
Survival of the Prettiest, Ishmael/My Ishmael/Story of B, Ode Less Traveled, Anna Karenina, Contagious (by Jonah Berger), Jim Henson: The Biography

STEP 1:  Finish Contagious
STEP 2:  Finish Ishmael
STEP 3:  Finish Flappers 
STEP 4:  Finish Survival of the Prettiest
STEP 5:  Read Story of B

20.  Organize a Clothing Swap or Yard Sale No progress.
I should revisit this idea with some friends and maybe plan something for this summer.

STEP 2: Revisit the idea and perhaps plan something for late June or late July.

21.  Develop a financial plan for my loans No progress.
STEP 1:  Revisit all my loan paperwork so I have a firm grasp of all the aspects.
STEP 2:  Find some people I trust and who have expertise that can give me helpful advice.
STEP 3:  Get pay off figures and process from one loan.

22.  Enroll in new medical insurance plan **COMPLETED WEEK 7**

23.  Watch these 10 classic movies that I have never seen No progress
Malcolm X, Blade Runner, Capote, The Virgin Suicides, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Strangers on a Train, Groundhog Day,  Rosemary's Baby, Young Frankenstein, Badlands

STEP 7:  Find a copy of Malcolm X

24.  Update a YouTube channel at work No progress
STEP 1:  Get advice from the marketing department, especially regarding partnership and SEO.
STEP 1a:  Discuss my plans with my boss.
STEP 2:  Develop plan for eliminating bad content.
STEP 3: Develop timeline for eliminating bad content.
STEP 4:  Send follow-up email with marketing department delineating responsibilities.
STEP 5: Develop online log for all new videos that are uploaded.
STEP 6:  Follow up with partners on new playlist ideas I have. 

25.  Complete some family projects: No progress.
  • help my sister make a scrapbook for our family reunion
  • help my mother create a wedding album for a cousin
  • create an anthology of  my grandmother's writing--- hopefully with some of her art and painting included.
I discussed the scrapbook with my sister and should move forward now.

STEP 1:  Look through the wedding photos.
STEP 2:  Do some research on what typically goes into a wedding album.
STEP 3:  Talk to my mom about what she wants for the wedding album.
STEP 4:  Read my sister's notes about the scrapbook.
STEP 5:  Talk to my sister about her ideas for the scrapbook.
STEP 6:  Call my aunt about the writing that she has gathered from my grandmother.

26.  Private health-related goal. No progress.

Score:  Progress on 4 of 23 goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment