Monday, May 18, 2015

Progress Report: Week 30-35

I'm a little bit freaked out because the time is dwindling before August!  I am going to get back to my once and week posting to keep myself on track

1.  Get a new job and move. **TINY PROGRESS**
There are some things developing at work, so I am thinking about perhaps staying on another year, or at least until 2016 so I can see some major projects through.  Instead, I am thinking about moving later this summer.

I'm hoping to do my PR program application this week, so I can be ready for the course that starts in June.  May was an insanely busy month a work, plus I am taking on more responsibilities, so I did not get around to doing it.

STEP 4 Do application to PR program
STEP 5: Look for apartment
STEP 5 Keep job searching
STEP 6 keep thinking about what I want to be doing in the next 5 years

2.  Make my own postcards. No progress
I think I might check out what vendors can do for me instead of designing the card myself.

STEP 1: identify 5 photos I would like to use on the cards
STEP 3: decide on software to use to to design my card (using Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and/or Lightroom) especially the back side
STEP 4:  Design the template for the back of the card.

3.  Write a script **TINY PROGRESS**
I have slowly started working on my script again.

STEP 1: settle on an story idea I want to tackle
STEP 2: outline my thoughts so far
STEP 3: identify my major problem areas
STEP 4: Work on those problem areas
STEP 5:  Do a complete outline of the plot points.

4. Publish a poem **TINY PROGRESS**
I have been doing some research on places to submit but haven't had much luck. I found one local place that I am going to try.  I need to sit down and do some re-edits!

STEP 0: read notes from Friend 1
STEP 1: put together thoughts for second draft
STEP 2:  write some more poems
STEP 2: do some research into common ways to get poetry published
STEP 3: identify some places where I would like to submit a poem and qualify
STEP 4: select some poems for submission and fine tune them

5. Track my spending/budget **TINY PROGRESS**
I did my taxes and I've kept track of my March expenses.  I need to do my April expenses.

STEP 1: Reassess my current budget structure.
STEP 2: Take stock of my current finances.
STEP 3: Set-up my budget for 2015.
STEP 4: Identify key rules/habits that will keep me on-top-of things and organized.
STEP 5: Identify financial goals (like major purchases, savings goals, loan payoffs etc.) 
STEP 6: Track my Feb expenses.
STEP 7: Track my March expenses.
STEP 8: Do my taxes.
STEP 9: Track my April expenses

6. Apply for a passport **TINY PROGRESS**
I have got the form for this, and am getting my passport photo this week.

STEP 1:  Figure out how one applies to get a passport.
STEP 2:  Figure out how long it will take.
STEP 3:  Figure out how much it will cost.
STEP 4:  Decide when to begin the application process.

7.  Get new glasses **COMPLETED WEEK 8**

8.  Visit Canada No progress
No further progress on this.

STEP 1:  Decide where I would like to visit (area around Lake Ontario, Niagara Falls maybe).
STEP 2:  Decide when I would like to visit and how long.
STEP 3:  Decide who I would like to come with me.
STEP 4:  Plan such an itinerary and route.

9.  Alter two items of clothing for myself  No progess

STEP 1:  Talk to my mom about teaching me how to use sewing machine.
STEP 2:  Get advice as to what would be good starter items to alter.

10.  Get something tailored. No progress

STEP 1:  Identify some local tailors and their contact info and advice from others as to the quality of the work.
STEP 2:  Determine how much I am willing to spend.
STEP 3:  Select 2-3 things I would like to attempt to get altere

11.  Take a fitness class **PROGRESS**
I finished up my gym classes for the spring.  I have to identify fitness options for summer.

STEP 1:  Identify which classes I would like to try.
STEP 2:  Get the stuff I need to attend the classes.
STEP 3:  Go to a class!
STEP 4:  Return to each of the classes at least 4 times.
STEP 6:  Look into getting a gym pass for the spring.
STEP 7:  Go to two gym classes a week. 
STEP 8: Find fitness classes for summer.

12.  Read at least 4 of these feminist books: **PROGRESS**
Lean In, Reverence to Rape, A Room of One's Own, The Second Sex, The Beauty Myth, MaddAddam Series, The Feminine Mystique, Bad Feminist, Yes Please by Amy Poehler

I finished Bad Feminist.

STEP 1:  Pick a book to start with: MaddAddam series
STEP 2:  Read Oryx and Crake
STEP 3:  Read Year of the Flood
STEP 4:  Read MaddAddam
STEP 5:  Read Bad Feminist
STEP 6:  Read The Beauty Myth

13.  Organize something for Directed By Women. No progress.

STEP 1:  Review the guidelines
STEP 2:  Brainstorm some ideas.

14.  Write those think piece articles No progress.

STEP 1:  Outline what I would like to say about one of my article ideas.
STEP 2:  Do the relevant research.
STEP 3:  Write a first draft.

15.  Buy a new laptop No progress.
STEP 1: Identify the main things I will need my laptop to do.
STEP 2: Work out what the specifications are for what I want.
STEP 3:  Investigate the price range available for what I want.
STEP 4:  Modify expectations or price range.
STEP 5:  Choose a vendor.

16.  Keep to a blogging schedule No Progress
Still been not great at this this past month or two.

STEP 1:  Come up with a blogging schedule.
STEP 2:  Try to stick to it.
STEP 3:  Try pre-writing multiple posts at once and see if that works with staying consistent.

17.  Help a friend make her film a reality. **PROGRESS**
I sent notes to my friend and we are doing more research for funding sources.

STEP 1:  Read script. (So embarrassing I haven't read it all yet.)
STEP 1: Read new script.
STEP 2:  Follow up about how the project is progressing and my thoughts on the script.
STEP 3:  Research funding sources.

18.  Start learning a little web design No progress

STEP 2:  Finish my Make a Website lesson on Code Academy.
STEP 3: Complete the HTML/CSS lesson on Code Academy.

19.  Finish books I have already started: No Progress
Survival of the Prettiest, Ishmael/My Ishmael/Story of B, Ode Less Traveled, Anna Karenina, Contagious (by Jonah Berger), Jim Henson: The Biography

STEP 1:  Finish Contagious
STEP 2:  Finish Ishmael
STEP 3:  Finish Flappers 
STEP 4:  Finish Survival of the Prettiest
STEP 5:  Read Story of B

20.  Organize a Clothing Swap or Yard Sale **TINY PROGRESS**
I have given up on this for now.  I held a sort of money-less auction of some of my stuff via facebook with some friends.  It has helped me get rid of a bunch of stuff I was sick of holding onto.

STEP 1:  Identify some local groups who might able to help me organize something.
STEP 2:  Reach out to those groups about doing something for Fashion Revolution Day.
STEP 1:  Come up with another idea.
STEP 2: Revisit the idea next month.

21.  Develop a financial plan for my loans **TINY PROGRESS**
I decided to pay off one of my loans completely because they have jacked up the interest rates.

STEP 1:  Revisit all my loan paperwork so I have a firm grasp of all the aspects.
STEP 2:  Find some people I trust and who have expertise that can give me helpful advice.
STEP 3:  Get pay off figures and process from one loan.

22.  Enroll in new medical insurance plan **COMPLETED WEEK 7**

23.  Watch these 10 classic movies that I have never seen No progress
Malcolm X, Blade Runner, Capote, The Virgin Suicides, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Strangers on a Train, Groundhog Day,  Rosemary's Baby, Young Frankenstein, Badlands

STEP 1:  Figure out if any of these are available on Netflix Instant 
STEP 2:  Watch Rosemary's Baby
STEP 3:  Watch The Virgin Suicides.
STEP 4:  Figure out which of the remaining movies are available from my library. 
STEP 5:  Watch Groundhog Day
STEP 6:  Get Young Frankenstein from the library and watch. 
STEP 7:  Find a copy of Malcolm X

24.  Update a YouTube channel at work **TINY PROGRESS**
We've published some new videos and a few more in the pipeline.

STEP 1:  Get advice from the marketing department, especially regarding partnership and SEO.
STEP 1a:  Discuss my plans with my boss.
STEP 2:  Develop plan for eliminating bad content.
STEP 3: Develop timeline for eliminating bad content.
STEP 4:  Send follow-up email with marketing department delineating responsibilities.
STEP 5: Develop online log for all new videos that are uploaded.
STEP 6:  Follow up with partners on new playlist ideas I have. 

25.  Complete some family projects: **TINY PROGRESS**
  • help my sister make a scrapbook for our family reunion
  • help my mother create a wedding album for a cousin
  • create an anthology of  my grandmother's writing--- hopefully with some of her art and painting included.
I discussed the scrapbook with my sister and should move forward now.

STEP 1:  Look through the wedding photos.
STEP 2:  Do some research on what typically goes into a wedding album.
STEP 3:  Talk to my mom about what she wants for the wedding album.
STEP 4:  Read my sister's notes about the scrapbook.
STEP 5:  Talk to my sister about her ideas for the scrapbook.
STEP 6:  Call my aunt about the writing that she has gathered from my grandmother.

26.  Private health-related goal. No progress.

Score:  Progress on 12 of 24 goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment