Sunday, December 20, 2015

Progress Report: Week 20

It's been a long time since I've updated this.  The longer I was away from looking at this list, the more nervous I was about looking at it---- because I knew I'd see how little I'd done to move towards these goals.  But the New Year is approaching and it seems like a good time to renew resolutions.

In November, I tried to do NaNoWriMo.  I only made it about 9 days.  It was really difficult.  But it was an interesting learning experience.  I think the word count per day was too large for me to handle.  To make the word count I need about 3 hours a day for writing, and it was too exhausting for me.  I couldn't keep it up for a full month.  Traveling also got in the way.


1. Get passport & travel to Canada - No Progress

2. Take a dance class (not ballet) PROGRESS!
I took a hip hop class this fall.  It was pretty challenging, but after a few classes I started to get a handle on the routines a bit faster.  It felt good to improve.  However, I missed a lot of these classes due to traveling, so I hope to sign up for another one in the spring.

3.  Find a new doctor - No Progress

4.  Make a short film - TINY PROGRESS
I asked a screenwriter I know to send me some shorts that she's written.  I want to see if we can maybe make one.  I hope to read them this week.

5.  Make an anthology of my Grandma's poems & writings - No Progress

6.  Read 5 of these intellectual/feminist books: The Second Sex, Lean In, To the Light House, The Beauty Myth, Reverence to Rape, Sister Outsider, How to Be a Woman, Americanah - No Progress

7.  Learn to do a Tarot reading - TINY PROGRESS
I bought a book on Tarot.  The book I've been using was a library book so I had to keep returning it and checking out, leaving big gaps in my studies.

8.  Read 4 of these unfinished reads --- Story of B, Ode Less Traveled, Anna Karenina, Jim Henson: The Biography, Snobs by Julian Fellows, Bird Cloud by Annie Proulx, Savage Beauty (biography of Edna St. Vincent Millay) - PROGRESS!
I finished Bird Cloud.  I really enjoyed it a lot!  I'm not reading Story of B, which I'm finding a little dull unfortunately.

9.  Watch these 15 movies:  Noah, Rush, The Apartment, Maleficent, Sweetie by Jane Campion, Hateship Loveship, Easy Rider, Dirty Dancing, Maidentrip, Laggies, Dear White People, Frida, Saving Mr. Banks, Carousel, Across the Universe - PROGRESS!
I've been trying to keep these films in mind when I feel like vegging or having a night in with myself.  Some of them are a bit hard to find cheap access or rentals but I'm working on it.  I have wathced Laggies and Saving Mr. Banks (loved it!) and am half way through Frida (also really enjoying it so far!).

10.  Watch these 10 British movies/miniseries: The Riot Club, God Help the Girl, Pride, Calvary, Nowhere Boy, Birdsong, Parade's End, Archipelago, The Selfish Giant, Orlando PROGRESS!
I watched The Riot Club.

11.  Plan speaker series on digital activism for work - No Progress

12.  Put together a collection of poetry & get one poem published - No Progress

13.  Finish writing a film script - No Progress

14.  Pay off another of my student loans - No Progress

15.  Create postcards with art or photos from family members or friends - No Progress

16.  Make scrapbook for 2015 - No Progress

17.  Keep blogging & Write a post for a professional blog - No Progress

18.  Go to 3 film festivals - PROGRESS  I went to a film festival in North Carolina in early November.  A film I worked on was playing, and I saw some great short films!  I'd really like to go to the Athena Film Festival again and the Bentonville Film Festival, but I'll have to see how the scheduling and money shakes out.  There is also a conference in Michigan in Feburary I'd like to go to that might be a conflict for one of those.

19.  Learn more about car maintenance - No Progress

20.  Do more music stuff - TINY PROGRESS
I bought two new songs by a folk singer I really like and am learning them on the piano.

21.  Learn to use a sewing machine - No Progress

22.  Minor financial task I've been putting off - No Progress

23.  Do a freelance/volunteer video project - PROGRESS
I assistant directed on a short film in Maryland for a week in October! And got paid!

24.  Write an essay on Snow White & the Huntsman - No Progress

25.  Make decent New Year's Eve plans (while still mainly avoiding drunk people) - No Progress

26.  Get my elbow sorted out (it hurts frequently) - No Progress

27.  TBD - No Progress

Bonus Goals
  • Make postcards from my photos - PROGRESS I spoke to a graphic design company about getting some postcards printed but they didn't have much better options than doing it through Staples.  I've tried out Staples' online templates and they work ok, so I think I'm going to choose some photos and order some online this week!
  • Get something tailored - No Progress
  • Buy a new laptop - No Progress  GAH Need to do this!
  • Take PR classes - No Progress
Progress on 9/27 (1/4 Bonus Goals)

No comments:

Post a Comment