Thursday, September 28, 2017

29 Things: Week 5

And just like that we are almost at the end of the month. I feel like I have been working pretty hard and been rather productive!  It helps that I have moved to a new office, and the hustle and bustle has helped me to stay focused on getting things done--- and there is lots to do because there are lot of changes and new things happening.  Being productive makes me feel really good about myself, go figure!

I have also started using Habitica to help motivate me and keep me oriented on my goals.  I am also try to break some bad habits and start new ones.  The prospect of having to log in and subtract points for drinking soda has kept me from indulging.  This week I've started to make a point to bring my lunch to work and give myself the chance to hit the (+) button!  I still need to work on going to bed on time (and therefore getting up on time) and exercising. I even have a 'No Netflix' button that I get to hit . . . sometimes, thanks Star Trek Voyager.

How am I doing with everything else?

1. Work on my poetry (Poetry Journal) - year round

TINYPROGRESS - I have scribbled down some new poems in the past few weeks.  I was trying to write a poem every day but it was just too much.  I often wouldn't have the time until late at night and my mind would be too tired.  I should also make some time to go back over initial drafts and make real drafts, and to play with some of the random lines I jotted down.  I've switched to trying to work on poetry every 2 days. We'll see how that goes.

2. Lose weight - year long

TINYPROGRESS - Since the last time I weighed myself I technically weighed 1 lb less, but who knows what that means.  Fluctuations of 1-2lbs could be due to a lot of things.  However, after probably near 6 months, I actually went back to the gym and went to Zumba!  Now all my muscles really hurt because my enthusiasm > my fitness.

3. Learn rudimentary Spanish - year long

No progress.

4. Make a film of some kind each month (outside of work) - year long

No Progress

5. Actually do my blog post each month - year long

PROGRESS! - I did my blog post for September!

6. Do a really good job at my mentoring program! - year long

PROGRESS! - I went to the first event for the program.  I did not find the program itself terribly inspiring but it was cool to start to meet the other people in the program.  I also met with my mentor for the first time.  We set some goals for the year, and she gave me some specific tasks before our next meeting.  We also set up a schedule for meeting/talking for the next 3 months. I really like my mentor.  She was really energetic and welcoming and easy to talk to, and also challenged me to change my thinking on a few things.

7. Watch These Movies:

PROGRESS!
  • The Butler (Sept)
  • As Good As You (Oct)
  • Spirited Away (Nov)
  • La Dolce Vita (Dec)
  • I Am Not Your Negro (Jan)
  • Wild (Feb)
  • Daughters of the Dust (Mar)
  • Imitations of Life (April)
  • Song of the Sea (May)
  • Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (June)
  • Carol (July)
  • Patti Cakes (Aug)

8. Read Books That I Own:

PROGRESS!
  • Girl with a Gun (Sept)
  • How to Not Be a Boy (Oct) - I am trying to finish this before October, but I'm only about halfway
  • Savage Grace (Nov)
  • Too Fat, Too Slutty, Too Loud (Dec)
  • All the Single Ladies (Jan)
  • Women In Clothes (Feb)
  • The Beauty Myth (April)
  • We Were Feminist Once (June)
  • Peter Pan (July)
  • Swamplandia (Aug)

9. Finish my audiobooks

PROGRESS! - Ok I changed these up a bit because I actually have been working on finishing The Invention of Nature. I'm not sure if I will actually finish it before October but I only have 4 hours left!
  • The Invention of Nature (Sept)
  • Dear Fatty (Oct)
  • The Feminine Mystique (Dec)
  • Vile Bodies (Feb)
  • Ghost, Edith Wharton short stories (April)
  • Dancing in the Street (June)
  • The Forgotten Room (Aug)

10. Set up a scrapbook for the year - (Sept)

No Progress

11. Change a tire - (Nov)

No Progress

12. Go see Spectacular Gems exhibit at Hillwood - (Nov)

PROGRESS! - I have set the date for this!

13. Get passport (By Dec)

No Progress

14. Send Christmas cards (Dec)

No Progress

15. Get new art framed (Dec)

PROGRESS! - I purchased the new piece of art I wanted.  Haven't worked on getting it framed yet.

16. Get something tailored (Jan)

No Progress

17. Have closet clear-out, get rid of stuff!!!! - (Jan)

No Progress - I have a pile of stuff, but I haven't sorted it between things to consign, sell, give to friends, and donate.  There is a donation drive next week so I'm hoping to get on this during the weekend.

18. Learn two of the suits of the minor arcana (one set by Feb, one set by Aug)

PROGRESS! - I downloaded two apps that are helping me learn! I can practice readings with quick access to information on card meanings, and there are flashcard-like lessons for each set of 5 cards.  I have been working on the wands and the cups.  I should try recalling the meanings using real cards and different decks to see how much knowledge has sunk in.

19. Get a new doctor (By Feb)

No Progress

20. Go to the dentist (By March)

No Progress - But I should start working on this soon because I need to enroll in a dental program in October.

21. Cook a roast or chicken/turkey (By May)

No Progress - But I'm thinking about selecting a specific holiday to try this.

22. Do a ghost tour in Baltimore (June)

No Progress

23. Finish Grandma’s poetry collection (July)

No Progress

24. Sort out pension (By July)

No Progress

25. Learn the history of India

No Progress

26. Learn more about starting a business (proprietorships, LLCs, liability & taxes)

No Progress

27. Write a first draft of something creative (Aug)

No Progress

28. Go see Jim Henson exhibit at MoMI

No Progress

29. Go to the theatre 4 times

No Progress

Bonus Goals:

  • Get t-shirt quilt made 
  • Go on a Have You Met Newark? tour 
  • Plan a trip to Newport 
  • Visit Paterson
  • See the Lion King
  • Reread a classic like The Return of the Native or My Antonia
  • Do a sewing project

Total: 

Progress on 10/29 Goals and 0/7 Bonus Goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment