Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Anecdote: Mystery of the Rear Right Turn Signal

Recently, the turn-signal indicator on my dashboard has started doing double time when I indicated right. Instead of going tik tik tik tik, it went tiktiktiktiktiktiktiktik. I thought, hmm that is abnormal. What a funny car I have!

The next day I thought it would be amusing to tell my dad the story of my hyperactive turn signal. At the conclusion however, Dad suggests that there is probably something wrong with my light.

Uh oh!

Later, I promptly forgot about this problem until after I had driven to church and back. Fortuitously, when I returned I found my little sister outside mowing the lawn. As I pulled up I hollered at her to make sure the lights were working. She gave them a clean bill of health. Problem solved.

I announce as much to Dad, who frowns and wonders if I checked both the front turn signal AND the back turn signal.

Uhhhh, no.

Next day, I drive to work and think, wow, I better find out if my back indicators are not working! Shouldn't be driving around without working turn signals. Sure enough, the right indicator light is not lighting up!

That evening we investigated. What was the deal with the lights?

They are filled with water. Yes, that's right. My car lights are filled with water. ?????

Dad says: oh that happens sometimes with Dodges. It must be a design flaw. Somehow the rain gets in. I'll drill some holes in them so they drain better.

And that is what we did. We drilled holes in my tail lights.

3 comments:

  1. tiktiktiktiktiktiktiktik Happened to me many times. I just had to replace a bulb...which I've learned to do myself! (Don't be impressed. It's ridiculously easy.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol sorry . . . I don't really miss that car. Its almost a right of passage now.

    ReplyDelete