Friday, August 12, 2011

Becoming High Class with Tomato Salad Sandwiches

How classy is my family? Well, we recently tried a recipe from the New York Times dining section. I usually flip through the dining section to see if they have any good pictures because once they had this fantastic picture of fried calamari and lemons. Last week I came across a picture of yummy tomatoes with basil on bread.


Because tomatoes are great and apparently photogenic, I just had to read this article! It was all about the beauty of eating summer tomatoes on sandwiches. As I am growing to love tomatoes, I just had to try this! It all sounded sooooooooo good.

The recipe was very easy (no real cooking involved, just chopping and mixing stuff, excellent for me) and exciting because it involved anchovies, which I'd never had before. It also involved capers, of which I had never heard and consequently I had to resist walking around going "Capers? What is capers?" a la Gollum befuddled by"taters."

But it was super tasty, and a great light supper that somehow managed to fill you up. We ate it with fresh mozzarella on the side and a little extra basil. The key of the whole shebang is to let the sandwiches sit so the bread can soak up the juices. Not a fan of soggy bread, I was a bit apprehensive about this, but it was definitely good advice.

The only downside to this is that between this and my showing them an article on scenic drives in the Northeast, especially the local Delaware/Raritan Canal which we frequent, my parents are actually realizing that it might be interesting to read the arts, dining, style and home sections of the paper instead of just chucking them in the recycling. (By the way, the home section is best section!!! I am obsessed with this section!!! I seriously cannot wait for Thursdays to read this section! It is one of my great loves! Why oh why must the parents insist that I now share it with them????) I now upsettingly no longer have supreme reign over these sections of the paper, which I often cannibalize for my card-making. A most distressing situation!

P.S. Here is the cool pic of calamari:


2 comments:

  1. So, coincidentally, today my father received an article from my niece's mom--it appeared to be from the arts, dining and style section of the NYT. Much laughter ensued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the NYTimes recipes. I use their black bean recipe every month.

    ReplyDelete