Monday, February 25, 2013

Poem: dragon claw

For lent, instead of giving something up, I decided I would try to write for an hour every day.  It's ok if I just write a sentence or a couple lines as long as I legitimately tried for an hour.

Well, I've already totally failed at this.  It went pretty well (in that I did it, not in the sense that I actually wrote anything good or even coherent) for four days.  And then I took a seven day hiatus.

But I'm going to make another stab at it, and today I actually churned out another poem.

I'm still not sure about the third stanza (and maybe the first---and maybe also the fifth), but the third stanza (and the fifth, if I'm bragging) has come a long way in the past 45mins so I'm feeling pretty satisfied with myself for today.




dragon claw

I'll grab the land
furrows and all.
crumple the paper without mercy
or pull the rug out from under them?

it's too bad people won't be in on the fun
when their ugly walls fall backwards.
they'll keep their outstretched arms tucked behind their backs
because there wasn't much love for those walls anyway.

All it takes is a strong shoulder and a webbed elbow
to sweep in a fresh ocean of air.
A shock to their lungs perhaps
but at some point I have to stop waiting.

I'll have to dig the life out from under my nails.
It sounds horrific, but it's really the most natural thing in the world.

I've always wondered what lies beneath the surface.
for some reason I don't have high hopes.
Eventually,
It will be easy to blame me for everything,
just when everyone is feeling lucky with a chance to start again.

I'm no fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment