Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Music this week: lots of new albums for me

This month I'm still bingeing on a lot of new music.  In addition to having a Muse and Mumford & Sons revival, here are some of the other songs and artists I've been listening to on repeat.

1. 'I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)' - Josh Groban

So I think I mentioned that I was getting Josh's new album.  Unfortunately, this is probably my least favorite of his albums so far.  I found a couple of the songs just a little disappointing.  But that said, there are a couple songs that I really love.  I definitely listened to this one a lot (also Changing Colors and Play Me from the bonus tracks).  I can totally see this song being used at the end wedding-scene of some super-feel-good romantic movie .  .  .  and then fade to credits.

2. 'Radioactive' - Imagine Dragons


I went to see Beautiful Creatures and this song was in one of the terrible trailers I had to watch.  But I'm glad I got to hear it because I got the full album and I really like it.  My other favorite right now is 'On Top of the World.'

3.  'Your Bones' - Of Monsters and Men


I finally got my hands of the Of Monsters and Men album and I was immediately distracted and moved by 'Your Bones.'  It has such a haunting sound and made me really really emotional the first couple times I listened.

4. 'Stronger than Me' - Nashville  [DON'T WATCH VIDEO IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE SPOILERS]


And speaking of haunting songs, this song really stuck with me too.  I know I said I would stop posting about Nashville, but this song is so powerfully sad, and mesmerizing.  I had it in the back of my head for days after I watched the episode. (Not really a song I'd want sung to me on my birthday though, poor Deacon.)

5.  'Kiss Me Goodbye' - Nick Urata and the Candelabras

I heard this song after watching the independent film Virginia starring Jennifer Connelly.  It was an interesting, sometimes funny, movingly sad movie.  This song captures the weird mix of cheerfulness, nostalgia, and bittersweetness.

6. 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' - from The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel soundtrack, Thomas Newman


I distinctly found parts of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel very relaxing and beautiful, especially because of the music.  I got the soundtrack and it is great for calming down, concentrating and finding that inner peace.

7. 'Shake it Out' - Florence + the Machine (Benny Benassi Remix)


I was discussing F+tM remixes with my sister.  And while I don't really care for the Calvin Harris remix of 'Spectrum,' this is one of the other remixes floating around out there that I enjoy.  This version is also pretty wonderful.

Of course, I always prefer the originals.

8. 'Terrible Love' - Birdy


I forget where, but I heard her cover of People Help the People and got the album on a bit of a whim.  I'm really glad I did because I really like the whole album.  She has a great and strong voice, and the album as a whole has a sleepy and reflective vibe.  I'm really looking forward to what she does next.

1 comment:

  1. Big fan of the Imagine Dragons album, still digesting as I listen to and from work, but Radioactive is pretty baller. I also like the Amsterdam song.

    The F+TM remix is sweet!! Thanks for sharing!

    If you want to find more remixes, HypeMachine is a fun place to find them.

    A

    ReplyDelete