Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Music this week: MONKEES and others who are likely to be British

Turns out I DID get to go see the Monkees!

My parents got me tickets for my birthday and we went to see them in Philadelphia at the great Mann Center.  I was a great show and I really enjoyed myself, although my mom did immediate ask upon the start of the show "Is it going to be this loud the whole time?"  And I was super pleased that they did "What Am I Doing Hanging 'Round" and got "Pleasant Valley Sunday" in during the encore!

But in honor of the Monkees, and one of the songs they did live that made me like it a lot more than I used to, the first song I've been listening to a lot these past few weeks is

1.  Steppin Stone - The Monkees


Cuz I'm not your steppin stone!

2. Along Together - Fall Out Boy


I've never listened to them before, but I got a little in the new Fall Out Boy album.  This song is definitely my favorite (even if some of the lyrics are a tiny bit weak . . . they are not nearly as weak as some of the other songs).

3. Boyfriend - Marina and the Diamonds


My little sister turned me onto this song and it amazes me.  I had to go back to watch the Bieber version and it is basically unrecognizable.  This version is so much better!  Marina is great.

4.  Black Flies - Ben Howard


I had the great great privilege of getting to see Ben Howard yesterday perform in Central Park.  It was a night of beautiful music.  Probably the best concert I've been to (excepting F+tM of course).  Black Flies was a song he just completely rocked out in a transcendent way, so here he is performing it live at the Isle of Wight.

5. The Girl Who Got Away - Dido

I was randomly listening to this while running and it was so relaxing but had a great beat.  I felt one with the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment