Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Progress Report: Week 8

I spend a lot of time this past week sort of recharging.  I've been feeling a bit run-down and disorganized, constantly bouncing between one thing or another. This week I guess I slowed down.  I did some serious cleaning (my bedroom was getting out of control), I posted a bunch more items to my online clothing store (trying to de-clutter and get rid of a lot of it before the end of the year),  I caught up on some tv shows and movies, I packaged and mailed a bunch of birthday gifts to friends, I got some new music and finally organized my downloads the way I wanted them, and spent most of Saturday catching up with my sister on Skype.  Although I didn't make progress on as many goals this week, I think I needed a bit of a reprieve.

1.  Get a new job and move. No progress.
I didn't do the applications I was planning on doing over the weekend AGAIN.  I did find another application I want to do.  THIS WEEK.  NO EXCUSES

STEP 1 spend some time job searching (by email updates have not be turning up too many good suggestions
STEP 2 is to crank out those applications.

2.  Make my own postcards. No progress from last week.

STEP 1: do some MORE research on the cost of ordering some cards.
STEP 2: identify 5 photos I would like to use on the cards
STEP 3: look into how to design my card (using Photoshop, using a online template from a print service etc.)

3.  Write a script No progress.

STEP 1: settle on an story idea I want to tackle
STEP 2: outline my thoughts so far
STEP 3:  Do a complete outline of the plot points.
STEP 4: identify my major problem areas
STEP 5: Get out my screenwriting books again with this story to help structure the story

4. Publish a poem No progress.

STEP 0: send poems to my friend for editing
STEP 1: do some research into common ways to get poetry published
STEP 2: identify some places where I would like to submit a poem and qualify
STEP 3: select some poems for submission and fine tune them

5. Track my spending/budget No progress from last week

STEP 1: Reassess my current budget structure.
STEP 2: Take stock of my current finances.
STEP 3: Develop or find something that will work a bit better.
STEP 4: Identify key rules/habits that will keep me on-top-of things and organized.
STEP 5: Identify financial goals (like major purchases, savings goals, loan payoffs etc.)

6. Apply for a passport No progress.

STEP 1:  Figure out how one applies to get a passport.
STEP 2:  Figure out how long it will take.
STEP 3:  Figure out how much it will cost.
STEP 4:  Decide when to begin the application process.

7.  Get new glasses **COMPLETED**
When I first got my glasses they made me motion sick.  But everyone online said you have to take a few days to get used to them.  So I work them on and off for a few days and no longer feel sick!

STEP 1:  Get exam and up-to-date prescription.
STEP 2:  Identify where to get the glasses made.
STEP 3:  Order the glasses.
STEP 4:  Receive New Glasses!

8.  Visit Canada No progress.

STEP 1:  Decide where I would like to visit (Nova Scotia).
STEP 2:  Decide when I would like to visit and how long.
STEP 3:  Decide who I would like to come with me.
STEP 4:  See if it is possible to plan such a trip.

9.  Alter two items of clothing for myself No progress.

STEP 1:  Decide who can teach me.
STEP 2:  Get advice as to what would be good starter items to alter.

10.  Get something tailored. No progress.

STEP 1:  Identify some local tailors and their contact info and advice from others as to the quality of the work.
STEP 2:  Determine how much I am willing to spend.
STEP 3:  Select 2-3 things I would like to attempt to get altered (in case 1-2 alterations are not possible)

11.  Take a fitness class **TINY PROGRESS**
I'm still going to Balletone and Zumba and they are kicking my butt.  But I haven't got back to yoga yet.  I am usually so booked in the evenings, sometimes I just want to go home and have a non-scheduled evening, so I've been slacking off on Mondays.

I did however start doing more stretch and stuff at home on non-class days.  This has been really helpful because my classes make me so sore!

STEP 1:  Identify which classes I would like to try.
STEP 2:  Get the stuff I need to attend the classes.
STEP 3:  Go to a class!
STEP 4:  Return to each of the classes at least 4 times.
STEP 5:  Come up with fitness routine/options for on days classes are not held.

12.  Read at least 4 of these feminist books: No progress.
Lean In, Reverence to Rape, A Room of One's Own, The Second Sex, The Beauty Myth, MaddAddam, The Feminine Mystique, Bad Feminist

I still have Amy Poehler's new book, and Lena Dunham's book to read.  I got half way through Flappers but had to return it to the library.  I am planning on getting it back on Friday and finishing it up before the end of the month.  I also finished that romance novel I was reading for a friend.  Unfortunately, none of these books are on the above list.  However, I am going to count Poehler and Dunham's book as working toward reading feminist books.  Unfortunately again, I didn't read any of them this past week.

STEP 1:  Pick a book to start with.
STEP 2:  Acquire book.
STEP 3:  Read book.
STEP 4:  Finish book.
STEP 5:  Pick next book to read.

13.  Organize something for Directed By Women--- a global viewing party happening in Sept 2015. No progress.

STEP 1:  Review the guidelines
STEP 2:  Brainstorm some ideas.

14.  Write those think piece articles **PROGRESS**
I started doing some research on one of the topics I am interested in and jotting down some notes.

STEP 1:  Outline what I would like to say about one of my article ideas.
STEP 2:  Do the relevant research.
STEP 3:  Write a first draft.

15.  Buy a new laptop No progress.

STEP 1: Identify the main things I will need my laptop to do.
STEP 2: Work out what the specifications are for what I want.
STEP 3:  Investigate the price range available for what I want.
STEP 4:  Modify expectations or price range.
STEP 5:  Choose a vendor.

16.  Keep to a blogging schedule **TINY PROGRESS**
3 posts a week on here, and 1 post a week on another blog I write for.

I didn't quite keep my new schedule last week (first week of trying).  I only got two posts on here and only half wrong my post for my other blog.  Hopefully I will do better this week.

I'm also trying to instagram more because I love instagram and I like the idea of documenting and updating through images.

STEP 1:  Come up with a blogging schedule.
STEP 2:  Try to stick to it.
STEP 3:  Modify schedule as I figure out what works.  (Don't just abandon it!)

17.  Help a friend make her film a reality.  **TINY PROGRESS**
I started reading the new version of the script.  I've slacked off on the research . . . got to get back on that.  I also spent some time helping another friend/film with their kickstarter rewards, so although that's not directly related to film, I'm counting it toward this goal.

STEP 1:  Read script. (So embarrassing I haven't read it all yet.)
STEP 1: Read new script.
STEP 2:  Follow up with my friend about how the project is progressing and my thoughts on the script.
STEP 3:  Educate myself on ways to get funding for the script.

18.  Start learning a little web design No progress.

STEP 1:  Figure out a good place to start/get advice from people who know about these things

19.  Finish books I have already started: **PROGRESS**
Survival of the Prettiest, Ishmael/My Ishmael/Story of B, Ode Less Traveled, Anna Karenina, Contagious (by Jonah Berger), Jim Henson: The Biography

I have started Survival of the Prettiest again!  I don't like it.  I need to get it over with!

STEP 1:  Finish Contagious
STEP 2:  Finish Ishmael
STEP 3:  Finish Survival of the Prettiest
STEP 4:  Read Story of B

20.  Organize a Clothing Swap or Yard Sale No Progress

STEP 1:  Decide in what month it would be reasonable to expect to host a swap/sale (and decided if there is enough time to prepare).
STEP 2:  Ask others if they would like to help organize, attend etc.

21.  Develop a financial plan for my loans No Progress

STEP 1:  Revisit all my loan paperwork so I have a firm grasp of all the aspects.
STEP 2:  Find some people I trust and who have expertise that can give me helpful advice.
STEP 3:  Explore options for paying off loans faster than my current monthly installments.

22.  Enroll in new medical insurance plan **COMPLETED WEEK 7**

23.  Watch these 10 classic movies that I have never seen No progress

Malcolm X, Blade Runner, Capote, The Virgin Suicides, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Strangers on a Train, Groundhog Day,  Rosemary's Baby, Young Frankenstein, Badlands

STEP 1:  Figure out if any of these are available on Netflix Instant Virgin Suicides and Rosemary's Baby are currently on Netflix!
STEP 2:  Watch Rosemary's Baby
STEP 3:  Watch The Virgin Suicides.

24.  Update a YouTube channel at work **TINY PROGRESS**
I've added more content to my new playlist, and am still trying to get some more content from other content creators for my new playlist.

STEP 1:  Get advice from the marketing department, especially regarding partnership and SEO.
STEP 1a:  Discuss my plans with my boss.
STEP 2:  Develop plan for eliminating bad content.
STEP 1:  Ask related content creators for contributions to new playlist.
STEP 2a: Develop timeline for eliminating bad content.
STEP 3:  Reorganize existing content and develop protocol for new content.
STEP 4:  Follow up with partners on two new playlist ideas I have.

25.  TBD I can't decide on another goal yet!  I think I might leave this for my New Year's Resolution.

26.  Private health-related goal. No progress.

Score:  Progress on 7 of 25 goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment