Sunday, January 17, 2016

Progress Report: Week 24

Two weeks into the New Year!  I have been using my new workbooks and steadily getting things done so far.  I don't always get the things done on the day I schedule them, but they get done within a few days usually.  Let's see how they measure up with my 27 goals (I decided on the 27th goal!).

1. Get passport & travel to Canada - No Progress

2. Take a dance class (not ballet) - No Progress
I forgot about this.  I'll have to work on that this week!

3.  Find a new doctor - No Progress

4.  Make a short film - TINY PROGRESS
I've been slowly putting together some info and resources that will help me decide how to go about doing this, and whether the script I'm interest in will work.  I'm also in the process of getting in touch with a few people to see if they have an advice.

5.  Make an anthology of my Grandma's poems & writings - PROGRESS
I have gone through all the materials I have and read through everything.  I have a bunch of duplicates of stuff, so I need to make a comprehensive list now.

6.  Read 5 of these intellectual/feminist books: The Second Sex, Lean In, To the Light House, The Beauty Myth, Reverence to Rape, Sister Outsider, How to Be a Woman, Americanah - No Progress

7.  Learn to do a Tarot reading - PROGRESS
I've been trying to do 15 min of study every day . . . haven't really done that too successfully but I've definitely been working on it several times a week.  I've memorized all the Major Arcana and almost their numbers.

8.  Read 4 of these unfinished reads --- Story of B, Ode Less Traveled, Anna Karenina, Jim Henson: The Biography, Snobs by Julian Fellows, Bird Cloud by Annie Proulx, Savage Beauty (biography of Edna St. Vincent Millay) - PROGRESS
FINALLY finished Story of B.  There were some great concepts in the book but it was really hard to get through the book.

9.  Watch these 15 movies:  Noah, Rush, The Apartment, Maleficent, Sweetie by Jane Campion, Hateship Loveship, Easy Rider, Dirty Dancing, Maidentrip, Laggies, Dear White People, Frida, Saving Mr. Banks, Carousel, Across the Universe - PROGRESS
I've been trying to put my binge-watching impulses to good use and actually watch things I care about watching.  I watched Rush, which while there were several things I liked about it, it found it ultimately disappointing.  And actually, that's kind of how I felt after watching Maleficent as well.

10.  Watch these 10 British movies/miniseries: The Riot Club, God Help the Girl, Pride, Calvary, Nowhere Boy, Birdsong, Parade's End, Archipelago, The Selfish Giant, Orlando PROGRESS
As with #9, I've been trying to do productive binge watching.  I finished watching Parade's End---I ended up quite liking it.  I'm curious if I would like the book.  I also watched Birdsong right afterwards, keeping up the theme of World War I.  I didn't think Birdsong was as good.  Then I also watched Calvary, which was good but not 100% my thing as it is a bit bleak.

11.  Plan speaker series on digital activism for work - I don't like this goal anymore.  I'm going to change it to something else: Get back into Master's Program and work towards finish.  I've decided that I want to finish my Master's degree which I have already done half the coursework for.  I've already made PROGRESS on this, as I contacted the department, submitted the paperwork required, and chose a class to attend this semester.

12.  Put together a collection of poetry & get one poem published - No Progress

13.  Finish writing a film script -No Progress
I have plans to work on this asap!

14.  Pay off another of my student loans - No Progress
I haven't gotten around to implementing my plan yet.  Hopefully before the end of the month.

15.  Create postcards with art or photos from family members or friends - No Progress

16.  Make scrapbook for 2015 - No Progress

17.  Keep blogging & Write a post for a professional blog - No Progress

18.  Go to 3 film festivals - TINY PROGRESS
I took the plunge and bought a pass of the Athena Film Festival next month, so I guess I'll be going to that!  I really want to go to the Bentonville Film Festival, but I'm still not sure if I'll be able to travel at that time and/or afford the whole trip.

19.  Learn more about car maintenance - No Progress

20.  Do more music stuff - No Progress

21.  Learn to use a sewing machine - No Progress

22.  Minor financial task I've been putting off - No Progress

23.  Do a freelance/volunteer video project - COMPLETE

24.  Write an essay on Snow White & the Huntsman -TINY PROGRESS
I've done a bit of research for this, I hope to finish all research this month.

25.  NEED REPLACEMENT GOAL HERE

26.  Get my elbow sorted out (it hurts frequently) - No Progress

27.  Do #52FilmsByWomen  - PROGRESS
This is a challenge created by Women in Film to watch a film a week by a woman for one year.  I was really hesitant to do this because I didn't want to have to work hard every week to locate a film by a woman.  But then I realized that the only way that women's work will become more available is if people demonstrate there is a demand.  And besides, there are lots of work by female filmmakers readily available.  Often we don't think of filmmakers being women, so we don't realize their films are around us!  Women in Film don't have hard and fast rules for the challenge, so I'm going to define it was watching films written or directed by women.  This week I watched Maleficent which was written by Linda Woolverton, who has written for several Disney productions.  Next on my list are Across the Universe, Middle of NowhereUnbroken, and Adore.

Bonus Goals
  • Make postcards from my photos - No Progress
  • Get something tailored - No Progress
  • Buy a new laptop -DID THIS!!!  I got my new laptop this week.  I have to set it up this weekend!
  • Take PR classes - I've decided I don't want to do this anymore.
Progress on 10/27 (1/3 Bonus Goals)

No comments:

Post a Comment