Monday, July 11, 2016

Progress Report: Week 48

Trying to see if I can polish off any of these in a month!

1. Get passport & travel to Canada - No Progress

2. Take a dance class (not ballet) - COMPLETED

3.  Find a new doctor - No Progress

4.  Make a short film - PROGRESS
I had an idea for something very short and kinda weird.  I've made the video, just need to do the audio now.

5.  Make an anthology of my Grandma's poems & writings - No Progress

6.  Read 5 of these intellectual/feminist books: The Second Sex, Lean In, To the Lighthouse, The Beauty Myth, Reverence to Rape, Sister Outsider, How to Be a Woman, Americanah - No Progress

7.  Learn to do a Tarot reading - No Progress

8.  Read 4 of these unfinished reads --- Story of B, Ode Less Traveled, Anna Karenina, Jim Henson: The Biography, Snobs by Julian FellowsBird Cloud by Annie Proulx, Savage Beauty (biography of Edna St. Vincent Millay) - PROGRESS
I'm trying to finish the Jim Henson biography.  I am enjoying to very much.  I'm only on page 203 right now, less than halfway through, but I am astonished with how much has been packed in there!

9.  Watch these 15 movies:  Noah, Rush, The ApartmentMaleficentSweetie by Jane CampionHateship Loveship, Easy Rider, Dirty Dancing, MaidentripLaggiesDear White People, FridaSaving Mr. Banks, CarouselAcross the Universe - PROGRESS
This goal should be easy to accomplish in time!  I've located copies of most of those films.  And this week I watched The Apartment and Carousel.  I enjoyed The Apartment--- I quite enjoy Jack Lemmon.  Carousel on the other hand, I found a bit peculiar; I didn't really love the music and the story I thought was rather pathetic--- about people with odd notions about love and domestic abuse, rather than a great love of some kind.  The part I enjoyed the most was the dance close to the end of the film; it was the most creative and expressive part.

10.  Watch these 10 British movies/miniseries: The Riot Club, God Help the Girl, Pride, Calvary, Nowhere Boy, BirdsongParade's EndArchipelago, The Selfish GiantOrlando - PROGRESS
I watch The Selfish Giant.  While it was sad, it was also gripping and I admired the filmmaking, it reminded me somewhat of Andrea Arnold's approach to filmmaking.

11.  Get back into Master's Program and work towards finish.  COMPLETED

12.  Put together a collection of poetry & get one poem published - No Progress

13.  Finish writing a film script - No Progress

14.  Pay off another of my student loans COMPLETED Week 29

15.  Create postcards with art or photos from family members or friends - No Progress

16.  Make scrapbook for 2015 - No Progress

17.  Keep blogging & Write a post for a professional blog - COMPETED

18.  Go to 3 film festivals - COMPLETED Week 35

19.  Learn more about car maintenance - No Progress

20.  Do more music stuff - No progress

21.  Learn to use a sewing machine - No Progress

22.  Minor financial task I've been putting off - No Progress

23.  Do a freelance/volunteer video project  COMPLETED

24.  Write an essay on Snow White & the Huntsman - No progress

25.  Plan something for my birthday! PROGRESS
I've made my plans and got some of the tickets. I have a few more arrangements to make but I am well on the way to being prepared.

26.  Get my elbow sorted out (it hurts frequently) - No Progress

27.  Do #52FilmsByWomen  - PROGRESS
I should have watched 3 films this past two weeks, but I've only watched 2, so I'm still one behind. I watched The Selfish Giant--- which I said above, I found very compelling.  I also watched Mississippi Damned (on Netflix); while at times I did not think it was very original I thought it was well done.  I was impressed with how complex and fascinating the characters were with often very little screen time or dialogue.  It reminded me a little of Monsoon Wedding in its complexity of weaving together multiple stories of many members of a family.

Bonus Goals
  • Make postcards from my photos - No Progress
  • Get something tailored - No Progress
  • Buy a new laptop - I still have to transfer a bunch of my files around.
Progress on 6/21 (0/2 Bonus Goals)

No comments:

Post a Comment