Thursday, January 5, 2017

28 Things: Progress Report Week 20

Week 20! That means my 28th year is nearly halfway over!  Eek!  Time flies!  I also feel like I lost most of November and December to a black hole of post-election/NoDAPL attacks/work drama depression.  I had a restful holiday week and am hopeful that my funk in drawing to a close and that I'm looking forward to getting back into the thick of things in this next year!

I am expecting 2017 to be tough, probably tougher than 2016.  But I did a tarot reading for myself for the year, and although it predicted a few rough patches, it was surprisingly positive and promising much success.  That's a bit perplexing for me, but I'm going to try to run with it (albeit with a bit of skepticism).

Since this is the start of the new year, I'm also taking the opportunity to revise and/or change some of my goals a bit if I want.  I did not take into account how taxing it is to be back in school, and I've got a lot on for the spring semester so I maybe want to dial down the number of big projects I'm assigning myself.

While I didn't accomplish all 70 million things I wanted to get done during the holiday week, I do feel like I made some good progress on several thing.  Let's see if I did . . . 

1. Finish #52FilmsByWomen challenge (goes until end of 2016)

PROGRESS: Ok, so I should have completed this by Dec 31st, but I'm a little behind.  I went back through my list and I only need to watch 7 more films.  Not too bad!  I already have them planned out so I should be able to complete this by the first week of February.

Over the past two weeks I also got some good viewing time in and checked off 5 films.  I watched--- May in Summer (ok I guess, interesting because it is not set in the US but in Jordan), Your Sister's Sister (eh, more white people giving themselves drama/depression due to relationship problems), Under the Tuscan Sun (cute romantic feel-good movie set in beautiful Tuscany, Sandra Oh is there, has a nice message about love and family not having to be the husband/wife/nuclear family kind), How to Make an American Quilt (I really liked this!), and because I liked Quilt, I watched The Dressmaker (quirky, cute, darkly and subtly funny) which was directed by same director, Jocelyn Moorhouse.

2. Collect the rest of the state quarters I am missing (I am missing Hawaii, Nebraska, Michigan, and Iowa) - COMPLETED


3. Watch these 12 films : The Darjeeling Limited, Wild, Trainspotting, Equity, Carol, Absolutely Fabulous The Movie, A Little Chaos, Songs My Brothers Taught Me, Diary of a Teenage Girl, Imitation of Life, The Fits, Brief Encounter 

No Progress

4. Read these 3 feminist reads: To the Lighthouse, The Feminine Mystique, The Beauty Myth, Americanah, We Were Feminist Once

No Progress


5. Read 3 of these books that I own or have started reading: Shrill, Growing Pains (Billie Piper's autobiography), Savage Grace, Anna Karenina

No Progress

6. Visit Lambert Castle in Paterson, NJ

No Progress

7. Get my passport

No Progress

8. Make some awesome posters for the Women's March 

No Progress

9. Finish off another student loan MORE COMPLETE

I actually paid off my final loan right before New Years!

10. Start to learn to play the drums

No Progress

11.  Draft an outline for a narrative film (short or feature)

No Progress

12. Write a song

No Progress

13. Move  COMPLETE 


14. Put together an anthology of my Grandmother's poems

No Progress 

15. Lose a bit of weight

TINY PROGRESS: I am not sure if I actually lost weight (probably not with holiday food!) but since Dec 30th I've decided to not buy junk food or drink soda for a month.  I had two days with a killer caffeine withdrawal headache which proved to me even more how important it was to decrease my Coke intake by a LOT.  This month I hope to come up with an exercise plan too.  

16. Put together a collection of poems (~30 poems, approx 2 new poems each month)

TINY PROGRSS: I've got 80% of 2 new poems.  I've been struggling a tiny bit with organizing my poems and feeling like the collection is complete.  It's an interesting puzzle.

17. Learn to use a sewing machine

No Progress


18. Go to see the Lion King on Broadway

No Progress

19. Get a new doctor

No Progress

20. Keep blogging & try to write for a new blog

No Progress - I really want to get back into the game with this. I've made some specific plans for this month and next month.

21. Produce a short film (either my own film or for someone else)

No Progress

22. Go on a date

No Progress

23. Get something tailored

No Progress

24. Start a short, daily journal

PROGRESS - Still be keeping up with this.


25. Write one of the articles/think pieces I've been contemplating (Snow White & the Huntsman, Bones, Pretty Little Liars, loud women)

No Progress

26. Learn either InDesign or Photoshop from Adobe Creative Suite

No Progress

27. Begin research & development for documentary project at work 

No Progress

28. Write fan letters to writers Fraser McAlpine and Brian Jay Jones

TINY PROGRESS: I spontaneously started brainstorming what I want to say for one of these!

Bonus Goals:
  • Practice changing a tire - No Progress
  • Establish a hair styling routine - No Progress
  • Create postcards from friends' art or photos - No Progress
  • Write a draft of my practicum paper (not due until mid-Fall 2017) - No Progress
Totals: Progress on 5/26 goals, 0/4 Bonus goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment