Saturday, October 20, 2012

Poem: millstones

This weekend I remembered to check back on my goals for this year, and realized I have not been making too much progress lately, especially with regards to any writing!  That made me sad because I had been making some good improvements last month, so it's unfortunate that I didn't keep up the effort!

As a result of these reflections, I did a bit of jotting down notes, and want to see if I can solidify a few poems this weekend.  I've already got one!

I've been needing to blow off some steam, so this is a little bit angrier than what I usually write.  The disdain is a little potent.



"millstones"

I've had enough with him
just like all the others.

I don't believe you, he says.

That's not my affair, I say.

I don't believe you, he says.
You smile too much to know your own truth.

We're all one-trick ponies, I remind him,
and I'm a fool--- I grin in the face of fear.
Any you're good for mewing.
I tell him through the flames.

I try to show him how I'm made of marble.
but he still clings round my knees,
beaming, like a man.

one of these days I'll learn what's good for me
and I'll crush his bones
under my leaden feet.

until then, swing low, my burdens.

No comments:

Post a Comment