Friday, December 19, 2014

In the Papier: Correspondence from Time

During the summer I picked up a box of random postcards at a flea market.  There were all sorts of blank postcards and an assortment of cards that had apparently been sent to (and saved by) a particular family.  It is sort of fascinating to see all the places these people's friends and family traveled to over the years and read their accounts.  Some of them are simple greetings with reflections on the weather and lists of all the attractions the travelers had taken in.  Others are more personable and mysterious.

Luzern.  Hofkirche mit Pitlatus.
July 11, ???? (Year indistinguishable)
Dear F + R,

It seems funny to be communicating with you from over 3,000 miles away, when I always forget to call you at home, but you now know that I'm thinking of you.

I just adore Switzerland.  We climbed part of a mountain (the one on this card) today, and took a cog railway down, surrounded by ten singing Swiss boys, one more adorable than the next!

Staying at a charming hotel, and in a day we'll be heading for Italy.

Love to J.

Old Covered Bridge Brandon, Vermont

July 24, 1973
Dear friends,

Get out your water colors, F, and get your gang up here.  You won't know where to begin painting first.  No matter where we turn, it's lovely.  Hope all is well!

Love from, the Ss.
Whiteface Mt. Peak and Castle
 August 4, 1979 Hello---

I am not on Mars--- I (the other Bob) am in New York!

I still intend to take up bass when I get back.

Nothing much has happened so this a pretty boring card.

TILT
(Bob-- remembered)
My Shanty, Lake George, 1922 By Georgie O'Keeffe
July 15, 1993
Dear B,

Hey you--- how are you?  Have you graduated yet?  You really should let me know about these things.  You'll never know when that correspondence maintained with an obscure friend from high school will provide you with a crucial edge in life's dealings.  (B, what I mean to say is 'Look, I'm a powerful broad, so don't mess with me.')

Bizarre comedy attempt aside, I hope that things are going well with you & I'd love to hear about some of them.  I have remained in 'post travel negative mode' since returning but did finally manage to work out which grad school I'm going too-- U-Chicago, who particularly won over my affections with a scholarship offer of $12,000. (I think I'm content on becoming a hardened urbanite for that price.)  Seriously though, their program sounds great-- I'm excited.  Please write when you have a chance!

Love, A

No comments:

Post a Comment