Sunday, December 7, 2014

Progress Report: Week 12

I got thrown off by ennui, preparing for the holidays, the holidays, and Christmas shopping over the past few week.  Some weeks I really didn't do much but this past week I tried to step it up again.

1.  Get a new job and move.  No progress.

STEP 1 more job searching
STEP 2 is to crank out those applications
STEP 3 develop some more skills

2.  Make my own postcards. No progress.

STEP 1: do some MORE research on the cost of ordering some cards.
STEP 2: identify 5 photos I would like to use on the cards
STEP 3: look into how to design my card (using Photoshop, using a online template from a print service etc.)

3.  Write a script No progress.

STEP 1: settle on an story idea I want to tackle
STEP 2: outline my thoughts so far
STEP 3:  Do a complete outline of the plot points.
STEP 4: identify my major problem areas
STEP 5: Get out my screenwriting books again with this story to help structure the story

4. Publish a poemNo progress.

STEP 0: send poems to my friend for editing
STEP 1: do some research into common ways to get poetry published
STEP 2: identify some places where I would like to submit a poem and qualify
STEP 3: select some poems for submission and fine tune them

5. Track my spending/budget No progress

STEP 1: Reassess my current budget structure.
STEP 2: Take stock of my current finances.
STEP 3: Develop or find something that will work a bit better.
STEP 4: Identify key rules/habits that will keep me on-top-of things and organized.
STEP 5: Identify financial goals (like major purchases, savings goals, loan payoffs etc.)

6. Apply for a passport No progress.

STEP 1:  Figure out how one applies to get a passport.
STEP 2:  Figure out how long it will take.
STEP 3:  Figure out how much it will cost.
STEP 4:  Decide when to begin the application process.

7.  Get new glasses **COMPLETED WEEK 8**

8.  Visit Canada No progress.

STEP 1:  Decide where I would like to visit (Nova Scotia).
STEP 2:  Decide when I would like to visit and how long.
STEP 3:  Decide who I would like to come with me.
STEP 4:  See if it is possible to plan such a trip.

9.  Alter two items of clothing for myself No progress.

STEP 1:  Decide who can teach me.
STEP 2:  Get advice as to what would be good starter items to alter.

10.  Get something tailored. No progress.

STEP 1:  Identify some local tailors and their contact info and advice from others as to the quality of the work.
STEP 2:  Determine how much I am willing to spend.
STEP 3:  Select 2-3 things I would like to attempt to get altered (in case 1-2 alterations are not possible)

11.  Take a fitness class **TINY PROGRESS**
So yoga classes are over and I never got back to them after the first class.  That's ok.  This upcoming week is the last week of Zumba (which I am really sad about because I am just starting to get WAY better) and Balletone.  Now that the semester is nearly over the fitness centers will be closing and classes won't start again until February.  I have to figure out something to do with myself during December and January!

STEP 1:  Identify which classes I would like to try.
STEP 2:  Get the stuff I need to attend the classes.
STEP 3:  Go to a class!
STEP 4:  Return to each of the classes at least 4 times.
STEP 5:  Come up with fitness routine/solution for at-home during the winter.

12.  Read at least 4 of these feminist books: **TINY PROGRESS**

Lean In, Reverence to Rape, A Room of One's Own, The Second Sex, The Beauty Myth, MaddAddam, The Feminine Mystique, Bad Feminist

I finished reading Lena Duham's book, Not That Kind of Girl--- which I'm counting as relating to this goal.

STEP 1:  Pick a book to start with.  I want to read either Beauty Myth, Lean In or MaddAddam.
STEP 2:  Acquire book.
STEP 3:  Read book.
STEP 4:  Finish book.
STEP 5:  Pick next book to read.

13.  Organize something for Directed By Women--- a global viewing party happening in Sept 2015. No progress.

STEP 1:  Review the guidelines
STEP 2:  Brainstorm some ideas.

14.  Write those think piece articles No progress.

STEP 1:  Outline what I would like to say about one of my article ideas.
STEP 2:  Do the relevant research.
STEP 3:  Write a first draft.

15.  Buy a new laptop No progress.

STEP 1: Identify the main things I will need my laptop to do.
STEP 2: Work out what the specifications are for what I want.
STEP 3:  Investigate the price range available for what I want.
STEP 4:  Modify expectations or price range.
STEP 5:  Choose a vendor.

16.  Keep to a blogging schedule **TINY PROGRESS**
I continue to Instagram.  But I've done really badly on keeping my blogging schedule.  I come up with many ideas, but I don't have the discipline yet to sit down and research/write them.  There are not any excuses except laziness and procrastination.

This past week however I did accomplish my blogging schedule.  I did three posts on here (counting this one) and one post on another blog.

STEP 1:  Come up with a blogging schedule.
STEP 2:  Try to stick to it.
STEP 3:  Modify schedule as I figure out what works.  (Don't just abandon it!)

17.  Help a friend make her film a reality.  No progress.
Really aiming to get that script read and notes sent this week!

STEP 1:  Read script. (So embarrassing I haven't read it all yet.)
STEP 1: Read new script.
STEP 2:  Follow up with my friend about how the project is progressing and my thoughts on the script.
STEP 3:  Educate myself on ways to get funding for the script.

18.  Start learning a little web design **PROGRESS**

I impulsively signed up to Code Academy and started learning some HTML.  I did one lesson so far and got a badge!

STEP 2:  Finish my lessons on Code Academy.
STEP 3: Decide a next step

19.  Finish books I have already started: **TINY PROGRESS**
Survival of the Prettiest, Ishmael/My Ishmael/Story of B, Ode Less Traveled, Anna Karenina, Contagious (by Jonah Berger), Jim Henson: The Biography

I have started reading Survival of the Prettiest again.  I'm also trying to finish Flappers, after quite an ordeal getting the book back from the library!  I am 205 pages into the 406 pages.

STEP 1:  Finish Contagious
STEP 2:  Finish Ishmael
STEP 3:  Finish Survival of the Prettiest
STEP 4:  Read Story of B

20.  Organize a Clothing Swap or Yard Sale **PROGRESS*

I talked with friend who wants me to help organize this, and we are going to try to make it happen either this month or next month.  We have already started brainstorming the guest list!

STEP 1:  Decide in what month it would be reasonable to expect to host a swap/sale (and decided if there is enough time to prepare).
STEP 2:  Ask others if they would like to help organize, attend etc.

21.  Develop a financial plan for my loans No Progress

STEP 1:  Revisit all my loan paperwork so I have a firm grasp of all the aspects.
STEP 2:  Find some people I trust and who have expertise that can give me helpful advice.
STEP 3:  Explore options for paying off loans faster than my current monthly installments.

22.  Enroll in new medical insurance plan **COMPLETED WEEK 7**

23.  Watch these 10 classic movies that I have never seen No Progress
Malcolm X, Blade Runner, Capote, The Virgin Suicides, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Strangers on a Train, Groundhog Day,  Rosemary's Baby, Young Frankenstein, Badlands

STEP 1:  Figure out if any of these are available on Netflix Instant 
STEP 2:  Watch Rosemary's Baby
STEP 3:  Watch The Virgin Suicides.

24.  Update a YouTube channel at work No Progress
I am waiting to set up a meeting with the marketing department that is going to be co-operating the channel with me.

On a related note, I have had some unexpected success getting my office to revitalize it's interest in doing some PR.  We are a service group, and we really need to improve our involvement in internal communications at my company.  I have actually managed to organize 2 meetings on the subject between unit heads and we are making some progress.  I have also convinced my boss to let me do some advertising/blogging stuff in advance of an event we are putting on next week.

STEP 1:  Get advice from the marketing department, especially regarding partnership and SEO.
STEP 1a:  Discuss my plans with my boss.
STEP 2:  Develop plan for eliminating bad content.
STEP 1:  Ask related content creators for contributions to new playlist.
STEP 2a: Develop timeline for eliminating bad content.
STEP 3:  Reorganize existing content and develop protocol for new content.
STEP 4:  Follow up with partners on two new playlist ideas I have.

25.  TBD I have an idea for this, but I'm not sure I want to commit to it yet.

26.  Private health-related goal. No progress.

Score:  Progress on 6 of 23 goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment