Tuesday, August 30, 2016

28 Things Progress Report: Week 2

Two weeks into a new year of goals!  Let's see how I've done.  I feel like I haven't yet been as focused on this list as I'd like to be.  I am experimenting with a different format . . .

PROGRESS!

1. Finish #52FilmsByWomen challenge (goes until end of 2016)

I fell behind for one week so that means I had to watch 3 things.  So I watched Songs My Brothers Taught Me, which I was very excited to learn had just come onto netflix!  Then last week I watched a unexpectedly gripping documentary called Secret Daughter, by a director with whom I am currently working on a documentary project.  Then finally I also watched several short films by Yulin Kuang, namely her wonderful Tiny Feminists films.

3. Watch these 12 films : The Darjeeling Limited, Wild, Trainspotting, Equity, Carol, Absolutely Fabulous The Movie, 8 1/2, Songs My Brothers Taught Me, Diary of a Teenage Girl, Day for Night, The Fits, Brief Encounter


I was very lucky to be able to accomplish 2 goals at once by watching Songs My Brothers Taught Me. I hope to watch The Fits very soon.

4. Read these 4 feminist reads: To the Lighthouse, The Feminine Mystique, The Beauty Myth, Americanah


I have The Feminine Mystique on audiobook and have listened to a few hours of it.  It is very interesting, and also very white woman-centric so far.

5. Read 3 of these books that I own or have started reading: Shrill, We Were Feminist Once, Savage Grace, Anna Karenina, Lean In


I am technically now approximately 6 pages into We Were Feminist Once, so that counts!

13. Move


I sort of started out ahead on this one as in very early August I found an apartment!  I will basically be moving in very very soon.  So this week I am starting packing, purchasing a few things I need (like lamps, shower curtain), and getting renters insurance sorted.

24. Start a short, daily journal


I found the perfect journal for this.  It is a five-year journal with only a few lines for each day.  It works really well because there isn't pressure to write loads, but rather the perfect amount of space to jot down the major things that happened that day.  I've gotten 1-2 days behind a few times but so far I have been able to record something for each day.

No Progress yet

2. Collect the rest of the state quarters I am missing (I am missing Hawaii, Nebraska, Michigan, and Iowa)
6. Visit Lambert Castle in Paterson, NJ
7. Get my passport
8. Get involved in local alumni film festival or environmental film festival
9. Finish off another student loan
10. Start to learn to play the drums
11. Complete a serious outline for a screenplay
12. Write a song
14. Put together an anthology of my Grandmother's poems
15. Lose a bit of weight
16. Put together a collection of poems (30 poems, assuming that I have a solid 10 poems already that means approx 2 new poems each month)
17. Learn to use a sewing machine
18. Go to see the Lion King on Broadway
19. Get a new doctor
20. Keep blogging & try to write for a new blog
21. Produce a short film (either my own film or for someone else)
22. Go on a date
23. Get something tailored
25. Write one of the articles/think pieces I've been contemplating (Snow White & the Huntsman, Bones, Pretty Little Liars, loud women)
26. Learn either InDesign or Photoshop from Adobe Creative Suite
27. Begin research & development for documentary project at work
28. Write fan letters to writers Fraser McAlpine and Brian Jay Jones

Bonus Goals:
  • Practice changing a tire
  • Start a scrapbook for life events
  • Create postcards from friends' art or photos
  • Write a draft of my practicum paper (not due until end of 2017)

Totals:  Progress on 6/28 goals, 0/4 Bonus goals

No comments:

Post a Comment