Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Progress Report: Week 51

Less than 2 weeks left!

1. Get passport & travel to Canada - No Progress
2. Take a dance class (not ballet) - COMPLETED
3.  Find a new doctor - No Progress
4.  Make a short film - COMPLETED
Still haven't made more.

5.  Make an anthology of my Grandma's poems & writings - No Progress
6.  Read 5 of these intellectual/feminist books: The Second Sex, Lean In, To the Lighthouse, The Beauty Myth, Reverence to Rape, Sister Outsider, How to Be a Woman, Americanah - No Progress
Someone recalled my copy of To the Lighthouse to the library! Who does that?

7.  Learn to do a Tarot reading  COMPLETE

8.  Read 4 of these unfinished reads --- Story of B, Ode Less Traveled, Anna Karenina, Jim Henson: The Biography, Snobs by Julian FellowsBird Cloud by Annie Proulx, Savage Beauty (biography of Edna St. Vincent Millay) - PROGRESS
I'm at about page 340 now of Jim Henson . . . but I still have over 150 pages to go!

9.  Watch these 15 movies:  NoahRushThe ApartmentMaleficentSweetie by Jane CampionHateship LoveshipEasy Rider, Dirty DancingMaidentripLaggiesDear White People, FridaSaving Mr. BanksCarouselAcross the Universe - PROGRESS COMPLETE!
I finished Dirty Dancing!  Hooray!  I'd watched about a third of it before, but this time I watched the whole movie.  I LOVED this movie!  Not only was it fun, and filled with dancing and Patrick Swayze, but it was romantic, with subtle feminism and social politics mixed in.  I loved how the main character sort of both represented and challenged the typical beauty standards and cliches about the girl-next-door-type.  I loved how Johnny Castle (despite his silly name) defied gender type, and was both classically masculine and counter that masculinity.  I loved the multiple takes on sexuality.  This movie can be dismissed as a silly teen, chick flick type stuff, but it really had a lot going on.  Plus it had a happy ending which is always nice.

10.  Watch these 10 British movies/miniseries: The Riot Club, God Help the Girl, PrideCalvaryNowhere BoyBirdsongParade's EndArchipelagoThe Selfish GiantOrlando - COMPLETED
11.  Get back into Master's Program and work towards finish.  COMPLETED

12.  Put together a collection of poetry & get one poem published - No Progress
13.  Finish writing a film script - No Progress
14.  Pay off another of my student loans COMPLETED Week 29
15.  Create postcards with art or photos from family members or friends - No Progress
16.  Make scrapbook for 2015 - No Progress

17.  Keep blogging & Write a post for a professional blog - COMPETED
18.  Go to 3 film festivals - COMPLETED Week 35
19.  Learn more about car maintenance - No Progress

20.  Do more music stuff - PROGRESS
I started plunking through some West Side Story music which I had never really tried before.

21.  Learn to use a sewing machine - No Progress
22.  Minor financial task I've been putting off - No Progress
23.  Do a freelance/volunteer video project  COMPLETED
24.  Write an essay on Snow White & the Huntsman - No progress

25.  Plan something for my birthday! PROGRESS
I booked the lodging for my birthday weekend, so this is pretty much in the bag!

26.  Get my elbow sorted out (it hurts frequently) - No Progress

27.  Do #52FilmsByWomen  - PROGRESS
I watched Girlhood, a French film.  While I think the film was a little disjointed, the characters created were really fascinating, and there were some stylized segments that were really powerful.

Bonus Goals
  • Make postcards from my photos 
  • Get something tailored - No Progress
  • Buy a new laptop - I still have to transfer a bunch of my files around.
Progress on 5/18 (0/1 Bonus Goals)

No comments:

Post a Comment