Friday, August 12, 2016

Progress Report: Final for Year 27

In a few hours it will be time to stop working on this list, and look forward to a new set of goals and a new year (even if some of those goals look suspiciously familiar).  So I shall take one final stock of what I managed to accomplish in the last 12-month!

I was discussing this list with a friend last month and I remarked that even though I never get through all or even most of these goals each year, I always get through more than I would have if I hadn't set these down and taken a stab at it.  This year I completed half (technical 51.6%) of my goals--- which is an improvement on last year!

I'm looking forward to setting some new challenges for myself in year 28 and trying to follow my new(ish) mantras:
  • Do What You Want---- not in the selfish, 'F the world' sense, but in an unapologetic, 'You have permission,' 'You can do it' 'go for it' way. 
  • Dreams Come True (if you make them)
Once again, to help me accomplish goals and make progress, I still need to make some of these goals more tangible, perhaps breaking larger aspirations into parts and tackling each at a time.

I also just finished reading a biography of Jim Henson, who is a big inspiration to me, and I've been reflecting on a piece of wisdom Henson left his children in his will:"It's a good life, enjoy it."  (483)
I think this is important, to live life with joy and appreciation more--- I am, despite my idealism and romanticism, definitely one for anger, resentment, bitterness, holding grudges, complaining, and blaming my dissatisfaction on cruel negligence of 'the universe/fate'.  I think I should make more of an attempt to enjoy my life, and to expect my world to allow me to do that as well.

In another section of the book, Henson is quoted speaking about his morning meditation rituals.  While I do not have plans for taking up yoga or meditation anytime soon, I can't help but feel I can learn something from Henson's example once again:
As part of my prayers, I thank whoever is helping me---I'm sure somebody or something is--- I express gratitude for all my blessings and I try to forgive the people that I'm feeling negative toward.  I try hard not to judge anyone, and I try to bless everyone who is part of my life, particularly anyone with whom I am having any problems." (459)
After his death, friend and colleague, Richard Hunt, would say of Henson "He wasn't a saint, but he was a close as human beings get to it."  (490)

---

Completed: 14 goals
Not Completed: 13 goals
Bonus Goals: 2 Completed, 1 Not Completed

1. Get passport & travel to Canada - Not Completed

2. Take a dance class (not ballet) - COMPLETED

3.  Find a new doctor - Not Completed

4.  Make a short film - COMPLETED but barely, I still wish I had been able to do something more substantial

5.  Make an anthology of my Grandma's poems & writings - Not Completed

6.  Read 5 of these intellectual/feminist books: The Second Sex, Lean In, To the Lighthouse, The Beauty Myth, Reverence to Rape, Sister Outsider, How to Be a Woman, Americanah - Not Completed, I think I greatly over estimated how much reading I was going to be able to do, especially given that I am in grad school now and have to do a lot of reading just for that.

7.  Learn to do a Tarot reading  COMPLETE

8.  Read 4 of these unfinished reads --- Story of B, Ode Less Traveled, Anna Karenina, Jim Henson: The BiographySnobs by Julian FellowsBird Cloud by Annie Proulx, Savage Beauty (biography of Edna St. Vincent Millay) - COMPLETE, I just finished Jim Henson: The Biography today!  Wonderful book!

9.  Watch these 15 movies:  NoahRushThe ApartmentMaleficentSweetie by Jane CampionHateship LoveshipEasy Rider, Dirty DancingMaidentripLaggiesDear White People, FridaSaving Mr. BanksCarouselAcross the Universe - COMPLETE

10.  Watch these 10 British movies/miniseries: The Riot Club, God Help the Girl, PrideCalvaryNowhere BoyBirdsongParade's EndArchipelagoThe Selfish GiantOrlando - COMPLETED

11.  Get back into Master's Program and work towards finish.  COMPLETED

12.  Put together a collection of poetry & get one poem published - Not Completed

13.  Finish writing a film script - Not Completed

14.  Pay off another of my student loans COMPLETED

15.  Create postcards with art or photos from family members or friends - Not Completed

16.  Make scrapbook for 2015 - Not Completed

17.  Keep blogging & Write a post for a professional blog - COMPETED

18.  Go to 3 film festivals - COMPLETED

19.  Learn more about car maintenance - Not Completed

20.  Do more music stuff - COMPLETED, I am going to consider this completed even though there isn't something specific to point to.  I definitely spent more time playing the piano and singing, and I have learned or at least tried some new songs, sing much more freely and loudly in the car these days, and love singing harmonies to my favorite songs.  I think that music is really helpful for me to let some things go and process stress at the end of the day. I think it is important to keep it as part of a regular practice in some way for me.

21.  Learn to use a sewing machine - Not Completed

22.  Minor financial task I've been putting off - No Progress

23.  Do a freelance/volunteer video project  COMPLETED

24.  Write an essay on Snow White & the Huntsman - Not Completed

25.  Plan something for my birthday! COMPLETED, I am currently engaged in taking a celebratory mini-break.

26.  Get my elbow sorted out (it hurts frequently) - Not Completed

27.  Do #52FilmsByWomen  - COMPLETED, This is technically an on-going challege that will go through the end of the calendar year, but as I've stayed on top of this since starting at the start of the year I am counting this accomplished.  (Last week I watch She's Beautiful When She's Angry, a documentary about the feminist movement.)

Bonus Goals
  • Make postcards from my photos COMPLETED
  • Get something tailored - No Progress
  • Buy a new laptop  COMPLETED

No comments:

Post a Comment