Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Progress Report: Week 20

Wow, work has left me feeling so drained.  A lot going on at work and a lot of silly frustration.  Plus, the weather has been especially wintery making driving (commuting) lousy.  Lately, I've just felt like totally vegging and working on anything in my spare time.  Also, I planned something for this weekend that didn't go great so that left me feeling a bit unambitious.

1.  Get a new job and move.  No progress.
I have found a few more jobs I should apply to.  I also have a couple places where I've got do to some searches.  I also have been so busy that I forgot to follow up on signing up for that PR program.

STEP 1 do application
STEP 2  keep job searching
STEP 3  follow up with PR program to sign up for courses

2.  Make my own postcards. **TINY PROGRESS**
I didn't get back to toying with software yet, but I did get a new SD card reader for my computer.  My computer wasn't reading any SD cards, so on the advice of a friend I got a USB card reader and now I am able to get my photos off my SD cards much easier!

STEP 1: do some MORE research on the cost of ordering some cards.
STEP 2: identify 5 photos I would like to use on the cards
STEP 3: look into how to design my card (using Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and/or Lightroom)


3.  Write a script No progress.

STEP 1: settle on an story idea I want to tackle
STEP 2: outline my thoughts so far
STEP 3:  Do a complete outline of the plot points.
STEP 4: identify my major problem areas
STEP 5: Get out my screenwriting books again with this story to help structure the story

STEP A:  Come up with a concept for a short film that I can shoot and complete in a couple weeks.
STEP B:  See if I can pull together the equipment/people I need to produce it.

4. Publish a poem  **PROGRESS**
I got more notes back.  Intense notes!  I've read them a couple times and I'm going to spend some more time mulling them over and then see about doing some revisions.  I also wrote up some notes from various random places I've stored snippets.

STEP 0: read notes from Friend 1
STEP 1: put together thoughts for second draft
STEP 2:  write some more poems
STEP 2: do some research into common ways to get poetry published
STEP 3: identify some places where I would like to submit a poem and qualify
STEP 4: select some poems for submission and fine tune them

5. Track my spending/budget No progress
MUST do this before I get to far into February.

STEP 1: Reassess my current budget structure.
STEP 2: Take stock of my current finances.
STEP 3: Set-up my budget for 2015.
STEP 4: Identify key rules/habits that will keep me on-top-of things and organized.
STEP 5: Identify financial goals (like major purchases, savings goals, loan payoffs etc.)

6. Apply for a passport No progress.
STEP 1:  Figure out how one applies to get a passport.
STEP 2:  Figure out how long it will take.
STEP 3:  Figure out how much it will cost.
STEP 4:  Decide when to begin the application process.

7.  Get new glasses **COMPLETED WEEK 8**

8.  Visit Canada No progress.
STEP 1:  Decide where I would like to visit (Nova Scotia).
STEP 2:  Decide when I would like to visit and how long.
STEP 3:  Decide who I would like to come with me.
STEP 4:  See if it is possible to plan such a trip.

9.  Alter two items of clothing for myself  No progess

STEP 1:  Talk to my mom about teaching me how to use sewing machine.
STEP 2:  Get advice as to what would be good starter items to alter.

10.  Get something tailored. No progress
I have a pile of stuff but am no closer to getting anything mended or altered.

STEP 1:  Identify some local tailors and their contact info and advice from others as to the quality of the work.
STEP 2:  Determine how much I am willing to spend.
STEP 3:  Select 2-3 things I would like to attempt to get altered (in case 1-2 alterations are not possible)

11.  Take a fitness class **TINY PROGRESS**
I'm going to get a spring gym pass and start taking classes this week.  I looked up the schedule and figured out which classes I want to try.  I think I will shoot for 2 classes a week, regardless of which classes they are.

STEP 1:  Identify which classes I would like to try.
STEP 2:  Get the stuff I need to attend the classes.
STEP 3:  Go to a class!
STEP 4:  Return to each of the classes at least 4 times.
STEP 5:  Come up with fitness routine/solution for at-home during the winter.
STEP 6:  Look into getting a gym pass for the spring.
STEP 7:  Look into getting an adult pass for the ballet school.

12.  Read at least 4 of these feminist books: **PROGRESS**
Lean In, Reverence to Rape, A Room of One's Own, The Second Sex, The Beauty Myth, MaddAddam, The Feminine Mystique, Bad Feminist, Yes Please by Amy Poehler

I have been pretty tired lately, so I haven't been getting through as many pages before bed as I have been, but I am still making my way though MaddAddam.

STEP 1:  Pick a book to start with: MaddAddam series
STEP 2:  Read Oryx and Crake
STEP 3:  Read Year of the Flood
STEP 4:  Read MaddAddam
STEP 5:  Read The Beauty Myth

13.  Organize something for Directed By Women--- a global viewing party in Sept 2015. No progress.

STEP 1:  Review the guidelines
STEP 2:  Brainstorm some ideas.

14.  Write those think piece articles No progress.
STEP 1:  Outline what I would like to say about one of my article ideas.
STEP 2:  Do the relevant research.
STEP 3:  Write a first draft.

15.  Buy a new laptop No progress.
STEP 1: Identify the main things I will need my laptop to do.
STEP 2: Work out what the specifications are for what I want.
STEP 3:  Investigate the price range available for what I want.
STEP 4:  Modify expectations or price range.
STEP 5:  Choose a vendor.

16.  Keep to a blogging schedule **TINY PROGRESS**
I did manage to do my one post on my other blog.  I am really trying to improve on this, so I am counting this as progress. I think running a blog for work is sucking up all my blogging energy! 

STEP 1:  Come up with a blogging schedule.
STEP 2:  Try to stick to it.
STEP 3:  Modify schedule as I figure out what works.  (Don't just abandon it!)

17.  Help a friend make her film a reality.  No progress.

STEP 1:  Read script. (So embarrassing I haven't read it all yet.)
STEP 1: Read new script.
STEP 2:  Follow up with my friend about how the project is progressing and my thoughts on the script.
STEP 3:  Educate myself on ways to get funding for the script.

18.  Start learning a little web design No progress
I still didn't get back to this this week.  SO BUSY!

STEP 2:  Finish my Make a Website lesson on Code Academy.
STEP 3: Complete the HTML/CSS lesson on Code Academy.

19.  Finish books I have already started: No progress.
Survival of the Prettiest, Ishmael/My Ishmael/Story of B, Ode Less Traveled, Anna Karenina, Contagious (by Jonah Berger), Jim Henson: The Biography

STEP 1:  Finish Contagious
STEP 2:  Finish Ishmael
STEP 3:  Finish Flappers 
STEP 4:  Finish Survival of the Prettiest
STEP 5:  Read Story of B

20.  Organize a Clothing Swap or Yard Sale **PROGRESS*
Ok, so it felt like I didn't make any progress but I guess I can count it as progress.  I had a clothing swap this week, but no one showed up.  Well, one person showed up and we had a nice time catching up.  But everyone else either cancelled or just plain forgot.  Which really sucked.  So it is kind of back to square one.

But what I have learned from this is not to rely on the weak ties of friendship to make this happen.  Most people are not as dedicated to seeing something through.  I still would like to try to organize a more successful clothing swap.  I think I will look into local groups who might be interested in organizing something more community-based . . . perhaps for Fashion Revolution Day.


STEP 1:  Identify some local groups who might able to help me organize something.
STEP 2:  Reach out to those groups about doing something for Fashion Revolution Day.

21.  Develop a financial plan for my loans No Progress
STEP 1:  Revisit all my loan paperwork so I have a firm grasp of all the aspects.
STEP 2:  Find some people I trust and who have expertise that can give me helpful advice.
STEP 3:  Explore options for paying off loans faster than my current monthly installments.

22.  Enroll in new medical insurance plan **COMPLETED WEEK 7**

23.  Watch these 10 classic movies that I have never seen No Progress
Malcolm X, Blade Runner, Capote, The Virgin Suicides, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Strangers on a Train, Groundhog Day,  Rosemary's Baby, Young Frankenstein, Badlands

I have been too miserable and/or distracted to go to the library to get Young Frankenstein.

STEP 1:  Figure out if any of these are available on Netflix Instant 
STEP 2:  Watch Rosemary's Baby
STEP 3:  Watch The Virgin Suicides.
STEP 4:  Figure out which of the remaining movies are available from my library. 
STEP 5:  Watch Groundhog Day
STEP 6:  Get Young Frankenstein from the library and watch.

24.  Update a YouTube channel at work No Progress.
I have been completely distracted by other projects to work on this one lately.

STEP 1:  Get advice from the marketing department, especially regarding partnership and SEO.
STEP 1a:  Discuss my plans with my boss.
STEP 2:  Develop plan for eliminating bad content.
STEP 3: Develop timeline for eliminating bad content.
STEP 4:  Send follow-up email with marketing department delineating responsibilities.
STEP 4:  Follow up with partners on new playlist ideas I have.

25.  Complete some family projects:  No progress
  • help my sister make a scrapbook for our family reunion
  • help my mother create a wedding album for a cousin
  • create an anthology of  my grandmother's writing--- hopefully with some of her art and painting included.
I still did not get a chance to revisit these projects this week.

STEP 1:  Look through the wedding photos.
STEP 2:  Do some research on what typically goes into a wedding album.
STEP 3:  Talk to my mom about what she wants for the wedding album.
STEP 4:  Read my sister's notes about the scrapbook.
STEP 5:  Talk to my sister about her ideas for the scrapbook.
STEP 6:  Call my aunt about the writing that she has gathered from my grandmother.

26.  Private health-related goal. No progress.

Score:  Progress on 6 of 23 goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment