Monday, February 23, 2015

Progress Report: Week 23

I got a little more proactive towards the end of the week, but still not as productive on the weekend as I had hoped.  I have gotten hooked on the show Num3ers and am actually finding it really inspiring . . . I have only about 10 more episodes left.  It's really easy to just keep watching episodes instead of facing a list of things I want to do and making a decision about which to do.  I have to face the fact that finishing Num3ers within a week is not really a goal I want to prioritize.

Also winter is really getting to me; after having a pretty lousy past two weeks, and encountered a few more things over the weekend and this week that show that the lousiness persists--- all while being cold--- it's been hard to stay positive and proactive and determined.  But the only way forward is to make progress, even if that progress is TINY PROGRESS.  I keep telling myself: Why do tomorrow, what you could do today?

1.  Get a new job and move. **TINY PROGRESS**
I went through a lot the job notifications that I've been ignoring and flagged a few that I want to apply for.  However, in doing this job searching, it's becoming clear to me that I have less and less of an idea of what I want to do next . . . this realization has made me rather stressed and I've had difficulty sleeping which just makes everything worse.

I recently did a Myers Briggs personality test.  I am an INFJ and the 'career' section of the INFJ profile described my situation really accurately: "Many INFJs struggle to begin a career early on because they see ten wildly different paths forward, each with its own intrinsic rewards, alluring but also heartbreaking, because each means abandoning so much else."  There are so many things I want to do and that interest me, I'm worried about choosing something that will not only be un-fulfilling or unsuccessful but waste time that I could have devoted to something else.

I did however follow up the PR training program through my work, and provided I can work out a few kinks, I just have to do an application and get accepted and then I begin taking the next class.

STEP 2  Apply!!!
STEP 3  follow up with PR program to sign up for courses
STEP 4 Do application to PR program
STEP 5 keep job searching
STEP 6 keep thinking about what I want to be doing in the next 5 years

2.  Make my own postcards. No progress

STEP 1: do some MORE research on the cost of ordering some cards.
STEP 2: identify 5 photos I would like to use on the cards
STEP 3: decide on software to use to to design my card (using Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and/or Lightroom) especially the back side

3.  Write a script No progress
I really wish I had spent some time on this, especially since I've got some possible avenues for tackling some challenges.

STEP 1: settle on an story idea I want to tackle
STEP 2: outline my thoughts so far
STEP 3:  Do a complete outline of the plot points.
STEP 4: identify my major problem areas
STEP 5: Get out my screenwriting books again with this story to help structure the story

STEP A:  Come up with a concept for a short film that I can shoot and complete in a couple weeks.
STEP B:  See if I can pull together the equipment/people I need to produce it.

4. Publish a poem No progress

STEP 0: read notes from Friend 1
STEP 1: put together thoughts for second draft
STEP 2:  write some more poems
STEP 2: do some research into common ways to get poetry published
STEP 3: identify some places where I would like to submit a poem and qualify
STEP 4: select some poems for submission and fine tune them

5. Track my spending/budget **TINY PROGRESS**
I did spend the 15 mins I need to come up with some financial goals.  Now I have to look at my spending habits and my budget to see if its possible to meet those goals.

STEP 1: Reassess my current budget structure.
STEP 2: Take stock of my current finances.
STEP 3: Set-up my budget for 2015.
STEP 4: Identify key rules/habits that will keep me on-top-of things and organized.
STEP 5: Identify financial goals (like major purchases, savings goals, loan payoffs etc.)

6. Apply for a passport **PROGRESS**
I went to the government website about how to get a passport and read all about the documents one needs, downloaded the form I would need, got information about the fees, and found the location where I need to apply.   I need to decide if I want to do the application just to get what I would need to go to Canada, or do the full thing.  I honestly don't think I will be traveling to anywhere outside the US except potentially Canada.  However since the application process can take several months, I might want to decide sooner rather than later.

STEP 1:  Figure out how one applies to get a passport.
STEP 2:  Figure out how long it will take.
STEP 3:  Figure out how much it will cost.
STEP 4:  Decide when to begin the application process.

7.  Get new glasses **COMPLETED WEEK 8**

8.  Visit Canada **TINY PROGRESS**
I have very preliminarily started thinking about this.  I have an idea for when I would like to travel, and since my budget will be small, I might just want to start with one location (like just Nova Scotia or just Toronto).

STEP 1:  Decide where I would like to visit (Nova Scotia).
STEP 2:  Decide when I would like to visit and how long.
STEP 3:  Decide who I would like to come with me.
STEP 4:  See if it is possible to plan such a trip.

9.  Alter two items of clothing for myself  No progess

STEP 1:  Talk to my mom about teaching me how to use sewing machine.
STEP 2:  Get advice as to what would be good starter items to alter.

10.  Get something tailored. No progress
I have a pile of stuff but am no closer to getting anything mended or altered.

STEP 1:  Identify some local tailors and their contact info and advice from others as to the quality of the work.
STEP 2:  Determine how much I am willing to spend.
STEP 3:  Select 2-3 things I would like to attempt to get altered (in case 1-2 alterations are not possible)

11.  Take a fitness class No progress
Did not attend any classes last week.  Forgot, was too depressed, or couldn't face the cold weather.  I did spent several hours shoveling snow though.

STEP 1:  Identify which classes I would like to try.
STEP 2:  Get the stuff I need to attend the classes.
STEP 3:  Go to a class!
STEP 4:  Return to each of the classes at least 4 times.
STEP 5:  Come up with fitness routine/solution for at-home during the winter.
STEP 6:  Look into getting a gym pass for the spring.
STEP 7:  Look into getting an adult pass for the ballet school.
STEP 8:  Go to two gym classes a week.

12.  Read at least 4 of these feminist books: **PROGRESS**
Lean In, Reverence to Rape, A Room of One's Own, The Second Sex, The Beauty Myth, MaddAddam Series, The Feminine Mystique, Bad Feminist, Yes Please by Amy Poehler

I continue to read Bad Feminist, and I've been really enjoying it so far.  There are some very astute sections, plus amusing parts.  I recently particularly enjoyed hearing about the world of competitive Scrabble.  It is much much better than Not that Kind of Girl.

STEP 1:  Pick a book to start with: MaddAddam series
STEP 2:  Read Oryx and Crake
STEP 3:  Read Year of the Flood
STEP 4:  Read MaddAddam
STEP 5:  Read Bad Feminist
STEP 6:  Read The Beauty Myth

13.  Organize something for Directed By Women. No progress.

STEP 1:  Review the guidelines
STEP 2:  Brainstorm some ideas.

14.  Write those think piece articles No progress.
STEP 1:  Outline what I would like to say about one of my article ideas.
STEP 2:  Do the relevant research.
STEP 3:  Write a first draft.

15.  Buy a new laptop No progress.
STEP 1: Identify the main things I will need my laptop to do.
STEP 2: Work out what the specifications are for what I want.
STEP 3:  Investigate the price range available for what I want.
STEP 4:  Modify expectations or price range.
STEP 5:  Choose a vendor.

16.  Keep to a blogging schedule No progress.
I did two posts on this blog but not on the other blog.  So I'm counting that as stagnation.  I was also supposed to carve out some time on the weekend to brainstorm and write (because I do have some ideas) but I watched Netflix instead.  I've also been avoiding certain ideas because it's been hard to gather my thoughts on some things . . . but that's the whole job of being a writer.  I've got to improve on this.

STEP 1:  Come up with a blogging schedule.
STEP 2:  Try to stick to it.
STEP 3:  Try pre-writing multiple posts at once and see if that works with staying consistent.

17.  Help a friend make her film a reality.  **TINY PROGRESS**
I sent out an email to my friend to see how she's doing with the film and whether she has created another draft.  I will write up my thoughts on the draft I have this week, and I want to spend some time researching funding sources and some funding sources she's been looking at.

STEP 1:  Read script. (So embarrassing I haven't read it all yet.)
STEP 1: Read new script.
STEP 2:  Follow up with my friend about how the project is progressing and my thoughts on the script.
STEP 3:  Educate myself on ways to get funding for the script.

18.  Start learning a little web design No progress

STEP 2:  Finish my Make a Website lesson on Code Academy.
STEP 3: Complete the HTML/CSS lesson on Code Academy.

19.  Finish books I have already started: **PROGRESS**
Survival of the Prettiest, Ishmael/My Ishmael/Story of B, Ode Less Traveled, Anna Karenina, Contagious (by Jonah Berger), Jim Henson: The Biography

I have started Survival again.  I am taking notes alongside reading (which is making it slow going) but it is also helping me stay motivated to keep going.  I think a big part of why I've been struggling to finish this book is that I don't really hold with major parts of the premise of the book and the book's project is not exactly what I had hoped it would be.  I hope I can use some of this as fodder for some blog posts.

STEP 1:  Finish Contagious
STEP 2:  Finish Ishmael
STEP 3:  Finish Flappers 
STEP 4:  Finish Survival of the Prettiest
STEP 5:  Read Story of B

20.  Organize a Clothing Swap or Yard Sale No Progress

STEP 1:  Identify some local groups who might able to help me organize something.
STEP 2:  Reach out to those groups about doing something for Fashion Revolution Day.

21.  Develop a financial plan for my loans No Progress
STEP 1:  Revisit all my loan paperwork so I have a firm grasp of all the aspects.
STEP 2:  Find some people I trust and who have expertise that can give me helpful advice.
STEP 3:  Explore options for paying off loans faster than my current monthly installments.

22.  Enroll in new medical insurance plan **COMPLETED WEEK 7**

23.  Watch these 10 classic movies that I have never seen **TINY PROGRESS**
Malcolm X, Blade Runner, Capote, The Virgin Suicides, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Strangers on a Train, Groundhog Day,  Rosemary's Baby, Young Frankenstein, Badlands

I looked up Malcolm X in a local library system and finally found a copy of the movie.  However I may have to watch it in the library.  I will investigate this.

STEP 1:  Figure out if any of these are available on Netflix Instant 
STEP 2:  Watch Rosemary's Baby
STEP 3:  Watch The Virgin Suicides.
STEP 4:  Figure out which of the remaining movies are available from my library. 
STEP 5:  Watch Groundhog Day
STEP 6:  Get Young Frankenstein from the library and watch. 
STEP 7:  Find a copy of Malcolm X

24.  Update a YouTube channel at work No Progress.
I haven't got back to this.

STEP 1:  Get advice from the marketing department, especially regarding partnership and SEO.
STEP 1a:  Discuss my plans with my boss.
STEP 2:  Develop plan for eliminating bad content.
STEP 3: Develop timeline for eliminating bad content.
STEP 4:  Send follow-up email with marketing department delineating responsibilities.
STEP 4:  Follow up with partners on new playlist ideas I have.

25.  Complete some family projects:  **TINY PROGRESS**
  • help my sister make a scrapbook for our family reunion
  • help my mother create a wedding album for a cousin
  • create an anthology of  my grandmother's writing--- hopefully with some of her art and painting included.
After a self-indulged kick in the pants, I did got through my sister's notes on the scrapbook idea and coincidentally she also emailed me about the idea and we've made some progress.

STEP 1:  Look through the wedding photos.
STEP 2:  Do some research on what typically goes into a wedding album.
STEP 3:  Talk to my mom about what she wants for the wedding album.
STEP 4:  Read my sister's notes about the scrapbook.
STEP 5:  Talk to my sister about her ideas for the scrapbook.
STEP 6:  Call my aunt about the writing that she has gathered from my grandmother.

26.  Private health-related goal. No progress.

Score:  Progress on 9 of 24 goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment