Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Progress Report: Week 22

I am not even sure what happened last week.  Much of the same insanity and depression from the previous week continued, and apathy and self-pity still got me.

1.  Get a new job and move.  No progress.
I haven't done job searching I intended to last week or applied to the PR program through work. 

STEP 1  Go through my job notification emails that I've been ignoring, and see if there is anything I want to apply to
STEP 2  Apply!!!
STEP 3  follow up with PR program to sign up for courses
STEP 4 keep job searching


2.  Make my own postcards. No progress

STEP 1: do some MORE research on the cost of ordering some cards.
STEP 2: identify 5 photos I would like to use on the cards
STEP 3: decide on software to use to to design my card (using Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and/or Lightroom) especially the back side

3.  Write a script **TINY PROGRESS**
I went to a screenwriting workshop that was a lot of just what I needed.  It was a great refresher on some of the structural concepts I was having trouble remembering, and I got some solid ideas for ways to work on some of the problem areas I have been having with the two stories that I have been most focused on.

STEP 1: settle on an story idea I want to tackle
STEP 2: outline my thoughts so far
STEP 3:  Do a complete outline of the plot points.
STEP 4: identify my major problem areas
STEP 5: Get out my screenwriting books again with this story to help structure the story

STEP A:  Come up with a concept for a short film that I can shoot and complete in a couple weeks.
STEP B:  See if I can pull together the equipment/people I need to produce it.

4. Publish a poem **TINY PROGRESS**
I went back through the notes one more time, and I started writing a couple new poems.  I haven't had the energy to do an intensive work or revising on the past poems yet through.

STEP 0: read notes from Friend 1
STEP 1: put together thoughts for second draft
STEP 2:  write some more poems
STEP 2: do some research into common ways to get poetry published
STEP 3: identify some places where I would like to submit a poem and qualify
STEP 4: select some poems for submission and fine tune them

5. Track my spending/budget No progress
This week I want to get through Step 4 and 5 below so I can start looking at how/if I can accomplish any of those things this year.

STEP 1: Reassess my current budget structure.
STEP 2: Take stock of my current finances.
STEP 3: Set-up my budget for 2015.
STEP 4: Identify key rules/habits that will keep me on-top-of things and organized.
STEP 5: Identify financial goals (like major purchases, savings goals, loan payoffs etc.)

6. Apply for a passport No progress.
STEP 1:  Figure out how one applies to get a passport.
STEP 2:  Figure out how long it will take.
STEP 3:  Figure out how much it will cost.
STEP 4:  Decide when to begin the application process.

7.  Get new glasses **COMPLETED WEEK 8**

8.  Visit Canada No progress.
STEP 1:  Decide where I would like to visit (Nova Scotia).
STEP 2:  Decide when I would like to visit and how long.
STEP 3:  Decide who I would like to come with me.
STEP 4:  See if it is possible to plan such a trip.

9.  Alter two items of clothing for myself  No progess

STEP 1:  Talk to my mom about teaching me how to use sewing machine.
STEP 2:  Get advice as to what would be good starter items to alter.

10.  Get something tailored. No progress
I have a pile of stuff but am no closer to getting anything mended or altered.

STEP 1:  Identify some local tailors and their contact info and advice from others as to the quality of the work.
STEP 2:  Determine how much I am willing to spend.
STEP 3:  Select 2-3 things I would like to attempt to get altered (in case 1-2 alterations are not possible)

11.  Take a fitness class No progress
I was still sick last week so I didn't get to any classes.  This week I may not be able to because I need to be home for the doggie.  But I might look at attending one of the weekend classes.

STEP 1:  Identify which classes I would like to try.
STEP 2:  Get the stuff I need to attend the classes.
STEP 3:  Go to a class!
STEP 4:  Return to each of the classes at least 4 times.
STEP 5:  Come up with fitness routine/solution for at-home during the winter.
STEP 6:  Look into getting a gym pass for the spring.
STEP 7:  Look into getting an adult pass for the ballet school.
STEP 8:  Go to two gym classes a week.

12.  Read at least 4 of these feminist books: **PROGRESS**
Lean In, Reverence to Rape, A Room of One's Own, The Second Sex, The Beauty Myth, MaddAddam Series, The Feminine Mystique, Bad Feminist, Yes Please by Amy Poehler

I started reading Bad Feminist because I couldn't find my copy of the Beauty Myth.

STEP 1:  Pick a book to start with: MaddAddam series
STEP 2:  Read Oryx and Crake
STEP 3:  Read Year of the Flood
STEP 4:  Read MaddAddam
STEP 5:  Read Bad Feminist
STEP 6:  Read The Beauty Myth

13.  Organize something for Directed By Women. No progress.

STEP 1:  Review the guidelines
STEP 2:  Brainstorm some ideas.

14.  Write those think piece articles No progress.
STEP 1:  Outline what I would like to say about one of my article ideas.
STEP 2:  Do the relevant research.
STEP 3:  Write a first draft.

15.  Buy a new laptop No progress.
STEP 1: Identify the main things I will need my laptop to do.
STEP 2: Work out what the specifications are for what I want.
STEP 3:  Investigate the price range available for what I want.
STEP 4:  Modify expectations or price range.
STEP 5:  Choose a vendor.

16.  Keep to a blogging schedule **TINY PROGRESS**
I didn't do my posts on this blog . . . although I started working on a post.  I think I might try picking a day when I write up 2-3 posts at once and see if that works better.

BUT I did do my post on my other blog!  That's a couple weeks in a row that I've stayed consistent on that blog so I'm counting that as progress.

STEP 1:  Come up with a blogging schedule.
STEP 2:  Try to stick to it.
STEP 3:  Try pre-writing multiple posts at once and see if that works with staying consistent.

17.  Help a friend make her film a reality.  **TINY PROGRESS**
I finished reading the script again and jotted down many notes.  I still have to send her a write-up of my thoughts.

STEP 1:  Read script. (So embarrassing I haven't read it all yet.)
STEP 1: Read new script.
STEP 2:  Follow up with my friend about how the project is progressing and my thoughts on the script.
STEP 3:  Educate myself on ways to get funding for the script.

18.  Start learning a little web design No progress

STEP 2:  Finish my Make a Website lesson on Code Academy.
STEP 3: Complete the HTML/CSS lesson on Code Academy.

19.  Finish books I have already started: No progress.
Survival of the Prettiest, Ishmael/My Ishmael/Story of B, Ode Less Traveled, Anna Karenina, Contagious (by Jonah Berger), Jim Henson: The Biography

STEP 1:  Finish Contagious
STEP 2:  Finish Ishmael
STEP 3:  Finish Flappers 
STEP 4:  Finish Survival of the Prettiest
STEP 5:  Read Story of B

20.  Organize a Clothing Swap or Yard Sale No Progress

STEP 1:  Identify some local groups who might able to help me organize something.
STEP 2:  Reach out to those groups about doing something for Fashion Revolution Day.

21.  Develop a financial plan for my loans No Progress
STEP 1:  Revisit all my loan paperwork so I have a firm grasp of all the aspects.
STEP 2:  Find some people I trust and who have expertise that can give me helpful advice.
STEP 3:  Explore options for paying off loans faster than my current monthly installments.

22.  Enroll in new medical insurance plan **COMPLETED WEEK 7**

23.  Watch these 10 classic movies that I have never seen **PROGRESS**
Malcolm X, Blade Runner, Capote, The Virgin Suicides, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Strangers on a Train, Groundhog Day,  Rosemary's Baby, Young Frankenstein, Badlands

I had to be at work monitoring some computers until midnight one night, so I actually went and got Young Frankenstein and watched it while I was doing that.  I really didn't find it very funny.  I have to stop trying to like Mel Brooks comedies.  For me, it wasn't worth the effort.  I want to try to watch Malcolm X next.  I would really like to learn more about him.

STEP 1:  Figure out if any of these are available on Netflix Instant 
STEP 2:  Watch Rosemary's Baby
STEP 3:  Watch The Virgin Suicides.
STEP 4:  Figure out which of the remaining movies are available from my library. 
STEP 5:  Watch Groundhog Day
STEP 6:  Get Young Frankenstein from the library and watch. 
STEP 7:  Find a copy of Malcolm X

24.  Update a YouTube channel at work No Progress.
I haven't got back to this.

STEP 1:  Get advice from the marketing department, especially regarding partnership and SEO.
STEP 1a:  Discuss my plans with my boss.
STEP 2:  Develop plan for eliminating bad content.
STEP 3: Develop timeline for eliminating bad content.
STEP 4:  Send follow-up email with marketing department delineating responsibilities.
STEP 4:  Follow up with partners on new playlist ideas I have.

25.  Complete some family projects:  No progress
UGH MUST do this!!  The family reunion is coming soon!
  • help my sister make a scrapbook for our family reunion
  • help my mother create a wedding album for a cousin
  • create an anthology of  my grandmother's writing--- hopefully with some of her art and painting included.
I really want to get to at least one of these this week.

STEP 1:  Look through the wedding photos.
STEP 2:  Do some research on what typically goes into a wedding album.
STEP 3:  Talk to my mom about what she wants for the wedding album.
STEP 4:  Read my sister's notes about the scrapbook.
STEP 5:  Talk to my sister about her ideas for the scrapbook.
STEP 6:  Call my aunt about the writing that she has gathered from my grandmother.

26.  Private health-related goal. No progress.

Score:  Progress on 6 of 24 goals.

1 comment: