Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Come On Get Crafty: an Introduction

In my attempts to "be productive" yet still watch television, I have taken up card-making.

I use found material, by which I dramatically mean: old magazines, candy wrappers, stickers, ribbon, pictures from the New York times, various pens, and doodling--- sometimes rather badly. Basically anything that is flat and is glue-able. I recently (well actually several months ago) went to the craft store and bought some patterned paper and a pair of scissors with a jagged blades. I don't find I use them very much.

I had considered venturing into more diverse textures with some butterfly-shaped rhinestones, but my mother stole them from me. I got some stamps but can't figure out how to make them work properly. I'll probably give them away before the year is up.

I also bought some larger card stock than I'd been using. I recently made a card (not my best work--- it featured some chairs I think, or was it a staircase) and to get it away from me, decided to send it to a friend, only to discover upon signature that I didn't buy any envelopes in which to mail them. I made a make-shift one out of a piece of paper. Definitely not my best work.

I decided that I should take pictures of my cards before I send them, to keep from repeating myself in my illustrious future as a card-maker. As such, I am now able to force my ugly and silly artwork upon more than a single correspondent. Ha ha! Step 1 in my plans for world domination!

To kick us off, I have decided to start with a selection from what I consider my Amateur EnviroUltilitariFeminist Art line. Feast thine eyes:

2 comments:

  1. I love making cards too! More of the colored pencil/marker variety, but still! I kept alll of you handmade ones. They shall be on display, again, in the new place! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, you've inspired me to do more letter-writing and card-sending...I think that means you deserve the first :-D

    ReplyDelete