Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

A well-made trailer is really a beautiful thing.

I've become obsessed with the trailer for the upcoming "Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy." This trailer is SO GREAT. I am dying to see this movie after watching it. I have watched the trailer 10 times. Seriously. The music is great. The editing is great. It subtly and simply builds the tension, hinting at the quietude yet gravity of the story being told.

I am in fits of rapture over the wonderful visual harkening-back to the old Cold War spy thriller and the 70s gritty crime film. First, how about the fantastic costumes. How perfect are those suits? the glasses? the hair cuts?

and how AMAZING do they make Tom Hardy look? Just flawless work being done here. I just hope Steve McQueen doesn't catch him!

(from Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy)

(from Bullitt)

Second, but just as wonderful, the shadows and muted colors that positively SCREAM "I am the spawn of The French Connection" make me want to kiss the cinematographer. Does this guy know his stuff, or does he know his stuff?!

(from Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy)

(from The French Connection)

The blunt, sneakily-in-your-face framing and composition get right at the danger, power-play and hardness at the center of these steely relationships,

And of course, those shots that masterfully pile on the tension and action, much to the viewer's extreme delight. (HE'S BEHIND YOU!!!!!)


Oh boy oh boy oh boy! I can't wait to see this film!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment