Sunday, July 17, 2011

Photogsnazzy: Depression Bread Line, by George Segal

As I've said before, I don't know much about sculpture, but one of my favorite sculptors is George Segal.

He is well-known for his "Depression Bread Line" which just beautifully captures the pathos of 30s poverty.

Pics taken at the Ground for Sculpture.

He is also featured in the wonderful work he did for the FDR memorial in Washington D.C.

I think I feel a kinship with the dash of melancholy and bleak anonymity his style often gives his subjects. There is something very New Jersey (tri-state?) about it to me; Segal lived in New Jersey for 60 years. My writing professor once described my writing as: "You have Beauty & Nature versus, for lack of a better word, New Jersey." That's not exactly how I see it, but there is something of that going on in me, and perhaps in Segal as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment