Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Come On Get Crafty: Mirrored

This was mostly an exercise to use up scraps. I wanted to see if I could fill up the whole space with just triangles, keeping with the meditations of "women's stuff" and sharpness I mentioned in the "Hard as Glass" post.

I almost succeeded. If I had planned ahead and been less lazy I could have done it. But as it stands, a few 4 sided shapes are in there.

These type of images--- I think I did another like this, but I may not have posted it---make me think of a prism or even a hall of mirrors. Which one is the real face? Is there just one or multiple faces? (Well, here there are multiple--- or are there?)

Although the hall of mirrors I have been in have been relatively non-threatening, as a concept they seem rather frightening to me. You don't know what will be reflected back at you. You don't know which reflection is real. You don't know the way out. All you know is who you are and what you feel, but you don't see anything familiar reflected around you. It's a very 'alone' experience and powerless, in my thought experiment about halls of mirrors. And yet, I feel like sometimes our social groups and the whirl-wind of media images that make up our collective 'mainstream' is a bit like this when you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment