Saturday, September 15, 2012

Poem: the eagles' nest

Started doing some poetry work today.  This one came to me only this morning.  Inspired by Baker Tower, for those who'll get that reference.

It's just a first draft, with some small revisions, for now.  I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be making some changes (I've moved the 3rd and 4th stanzas around so many times already!).  I really don't have an intellectual understanding of structure or rhythm, but I'd like to.  So I might contemplate this poem in that regard again.  I'm also still articulating to myself what this is about, and that usually means there will be stuff I'll eliminate later to achieve greater unity or I'll flesh out the imagery in a more meaningful way.  But for now . . .


"the eagles' nest"

we had a tower balcony
for one, two, three days

our eagles' nest
greyed and made of red hot stones

squinting
see just the lake
and the candied sky

the stone wasn't cold
but warm that day

we filled up space with our stretching arms
and throats
lifted higher
on budding, cherried summer breezes
hair-fluffed feathers upon our collars

barefeet
lichen against our backs

flashes of happy digital light in the night
and stars

and nothing but a fall to catch us
below

everything but holding hands
and singing "here we go round the mulberry bush"


my friends

it's all become solid
smiles in the memories

No comments:

Post a Comment